The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 AM

hyrgrnd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: More Fly Swaps for 2010

Sounds like a fun winter. Once we have 6 feet of snow on the ground here, not much fishing is happening - so tying will fill the void!

Looking forward to hearing from you Mark.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Im a trout guy, still water and freestone, so am willing to join in on those types of swaps, can also tie some up for charity just let me know when.

d
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
How about a MOUSE swap????? or rodent of your choice...LOL
I tied a great mouse I only saw once in an article. Mentioned, no photo. He called it the lab rat. White with pink eyes, and a pink tail and ears. I thought it sounded like a good idea and tied one. I sprayed it with scotch gaurd and then took it out for a spin. It got nailed by a smaller pike almost the second it hit water the first cast. It caught half a dozen smallies and a couple more pike in short order. I like it a bunch. It might be a good one for that swap. I'd be in that one as fast as the first fish that hit that fly. There are a lot of great mouse patterns. I like the mouserat too.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Some great ideas folks!

i've gotten a few other swap suggestions too--
carp flies
smallmouth flies
gulf coast redfish/specs flies
still water trout flies

Dan do you want in on the Pike Musky fly swap?

I'll start putting up a bunch of threads for new swaps over the next few days-- we can figure out due dates as people sign up.

mark
Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Dan do you want in on the Pike Musky fly swap?

mark
Sure, how about a white and blue Reynold's Pike fly the way I make them with the big heart bead head? They work everywhere.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Sure, how about a white and blue Reynold's Pike fly the way I make them with the big heart bead head? They work everywhere.
Dan, I was hoping you would tie those! i was thinking of tying white and red conehead leeches. how long should they be? 7-8 inches?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great Dan, I'll sign you up for the Pike/musky swap
Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I know you have a ton of swaps going, and maybe this is what you are doing with the basic fly box swap.

I keep reading people asking "what are the must have flies" and I thought that it might be kewl to do a "top 10" swap. Or you could break it up into the Top dries and Top streamer/Nymphs and only have 5 tiers each tie 10 of thier pattern.

For example (don't blast me, these are my top 10 and might not be yours):
Dries:
EHC
Adams
BWO
Royal Wulff
Griffith Gnat

Wet/Nymph
GRHE
PTN
Prince Nymph
Wooly Bugger
Mickey Finn

Then have each of the 10 tiers pick one of the patterns and tie it up 10 (if you are doing all 10)

If you do 5 tiers and the top 5 dry/wet then the tier can tie ten of each and each tier gets two of each pattern back. Whoever picks the fly could do variations if they want like 5 parachute and 5 standard adams, or 5 Gnats in black and 5 in Brown, or 5 beadhead and 5 without a bead, etc.

Of course, looks like everyone is over committed now, so maybe this should wait for a couple months.

In any case, just a thought.

Dave

P.S. Wanna mix it up and challenge the tiers, then have 5 people sign up and do a blind draw of which flies they have to tie (have sign up, and then randomly draw fly names out of the hat (after all 5 have signed up). That way guys like me who are not very confident with biots, might get stuck with a prince nymph and be challenged to do something outside the comfort zone.

d
Old 12-05-2009, 08:40 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

these new swaps are soooo tempting...but I will have to hold off for a while before I do any, cause I don't want to be late on them, or stressed trying to get them done...family issues going on now...otherwise I would be in MORE of these babies...hehehe
Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Jack gartside just passed away...... can we get a memorial swap??? extra flies to widow......I'll miss JG...awesome tyer/designer.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"