The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Basic Box- Trout

Very nice neal, I have some much trouble with biots, I can never seem to get the tail level. I sat down tonight and tied a couple, cause I need some, and I need the practice. I didn't have white biot, so I had to use gold for the wings. Do you add lead to yours or just the bead?

d
Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Very nice neal, I have some much trouble with biots, I can never seem to get the tail level. I sat down tonight and tied a couple, cause I need some, and I need the practice. I didn't have white biot, so I had to use gold for the wings. Do you add lead to yours or just the bead?

d
Most of the water I like to fish isn't that fast....so I just go with the bead, add weight when I'm on the water. as for the tails...at the bend of the hook I tie in a small piece of peacock, just a couple of wraps, the put my biots on the sides, this spreads them apart, and you can control just how spread they are by how close to the " ball" of peacock you wrap the biots down.I also use gold wings....just depends on the time of year, but I have had alot of fish with the gold/yellow wings...as seen here

I hope this shows better..
.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Good idea with the peacock, I usually put a thread ball near the bend to do the same thing. Like I said, I am tying up some prince nymphs, so may give this a shot tonight or tomorrow and see how it works. It is so great that there is always some little trick to learn when you ask someone how they did something, and it is great that the folks on this site are so willing to share.

Again nice ties, and thanks for the tip.

Dave
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 PM

Neal, gave your method a try, and I like it, crunched the biots together on the first one when I went to finish the herl, but got the hang of it. I tie mine with red tinsel for the ribbing and some crystal herl to make it a little buggier. Heres a photo.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I'll tie up a soft hackle for the wet fly slot if it isn't filled yet.....
Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great Greenwoood- glad to have you aboard.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Mark,

I'll tie up a Milkweed Fly; a mini-streamer, #14, if the 3rd streamer slot is still open. Let me know.

Pocono
Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great Allan, you're in!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:44 PM

quackhead35 is on a distinguished road

I have been in the middle of wanting to do this swap but I think I need to do it....Now I don't know if i want to do the nymph or dry. sign me up I'll figure it out here real soon
Old 12-27-2009, 01:59 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Neal, gave your method a try, and I like it, crunched the biots together on the first one when I went to finish the herl, but got the hang of it. I tie mine with red tinsel for the ribbing and some crystal herl to make it a little buggier. Heres a photo.
Click the image to open in full size.
I think it just makes a more believable tailing.....plus to me it's easier