The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Basic Box- Trout

Ok let see if this works--- I'm thinking this one might be good for Beginning and Intermediate tyers.

The idea is to end up with an assortment of proven trout flies of different types- streamers, nymphs, wets, and dries, 12 flies in total

Sign up for tying 12 of one type of fly - 12 streamers, 12 dries etc. Folks with less experience might want to choose to tie nymphs or streamers, folks with a little more tying under their belt might want to try tying up some dries, but feel free to sign up for any category.

If you can try and choose proven patterns/sizes that would make a good choice for a basic trout box to fish anywhere.

Due date of March 15, 2010

Streamer
1. Bluebird5 -
2. Packfancjh- Crayfish - RECEIVED
3. Pocono - Milkweed streamer- RECEIVED

Nymph
4. Flytying_Neal - Prince Nymph RECEIVED
5. Quackhead - TBD (nymph or dry)

Wet Fly
6. Brandy- Emergent Sparkle Pupa size 16 - RECEIVED
7. Greenwood- Soft Hackle

Dry Flies
8. Flyfishnflowers - Royal Wulff - RECEIVED
9. Hyrgrnd- Foampy - RECEIVED
10. Webrx - Griffith's Gnat - RECEIVED
11. Chrisinselwyn- NZ Blue Dun - RECEIVED
12. Futuramille- Adams - RECEIVED

If this works, we'll try basic boxes for warmwater (panfish-crappie-bass) and saltwater

Last edited by peregrines; 03-18-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Basic Box- Trout

ill do a nymph for this one
Old 12-01-2009, 12:43 PM

hyrgrnd is on a distinguished road

Mark - I will try to tye the "Foampy" a dry fly variant of the "Humpy" if that's OK.

Thanks for taking on this huge task. I might look over some of the other swaps and enter two this winter. I'll let you know.

Steve
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

hows an elk hair caddis emerger size 16 sound?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Mark,

I think I would like to also try tying a Net Builder which I think is a nymph/emerger. Saw the pattern on another web site and they mentioned a fellow named John Barr as the developer of this pattern.

You could add this to the basic fly box swap, or put it in another one where you think it might fit.

please let me know.

Steve
Old 12-01-2009, 01:54 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Steve-

John Barr is a great tyer, and you'll see a lot of his patterns-- especially out in the west where you are.

I'm offering up another swap- called a Caddis Life Cycle swap and I put your net builder in there as a caddis larva pattern for now. Hopefully we'll get enough takers to run that one too.

This way you'll be in two different swaps and will receive 11 flies back from each one. If there isn't enough interest for some reason in the caddis life cycle swap, you can double up on this one, and get 2 sets of flies back (22 flies) from this (basic trout box) swap.

Does this work for you?

mark
Old 12-01-2009, 02:31 PM

That's great Mark.

Lets hope they both fill up!

Steve
Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I can tie up something for this swap, that will put me in 3 for the winter and should keep me busy and out of trouble. I just gotta remember what I am tying for the others and make sure I don't duplicate anything cause it looks like some of the same tiers in a couple of them. How about your basic Griffiths Gnat?
Dave
Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Great Dave- glad you're in this one.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

Mark, please sign me up for the "Streamer" flies...