The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Material swap......

I have recently seen a material swap that was set up kinda cool. So I thought I would see if anyone might be interested in trying it out. Here is how it goes.

(1). I take a box and place 'X' number of items in it.(that # would be equal to the # of members participating). 12 members = 12 items. 15 members = 15 items.

(2). I send it to member #2 and he can take any number of items in the box as long as he replaces that same number of items. So he can take every item or just 1. Kapeesh?

(3). Member #2 then takes it and sends it to member #3 on the list and so down the list it goes.

This could actually become an ongoing material swap, going on as long as the members decided. we could even add or subtract members for each round that it goes around.

What do you folks think?

If we have enough interest, I would be more than happy to get it started.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Material swap......

We do something like this on a cigar forum I'm a part of. There's a bunch of cigars (or in this case materials) that are sent out and first to recieve can take up to five, but must replace them with an equal value cigar. Rare items must be replaced by rare items, etc... in this case, no one can take a whiting cape and replace it with five spools of thread...

Sounds fun...

Justin
Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons_j_m View Post
We do something like this on a cigar forum I'm a part of. There's a bunch of cigars (or in this case materials) that are sent out and first to recieve can take up to five, but must replace them with an equal value cigar. Rare items must be replaced by rare items, etc... in this case, no one can take a whiting cape and replace it with five spools of thread...

Sounds fun...

Justin
i think its a neat idea but i agree with Simmons...did this on a Bass Fishing forum i was a big part of...the first few too the most expensive baits and replaced them with junk...by the time it got around to the guy that had started it...it was pretty much all junk lures which makes for bad feelings and so on.....its a neat idea but i think if done there needs to be somekind of $$ limit on what goes in.....or something to that effect....if you were to put say a Whiting cape in that is a value of $90 or so would be hard to replace it with something of the same value for some such as me who is starting out..heck my capes are all $30 Bass Pro brand capes...if that all makes sense
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I did a Canadian swap box until our postage rates went through the roof. You guys have pretty low rates so it should be feasable down there. I know for ours it worked well for three trips across Canada, then it just got too expensive. Nice thing about tying material is that one man's "Junk" is anothers treasure!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

We could certainly put a $$ limit on the items. I wasn't too worried about it though, as I think most everyone here would be on the "up & up".

Hello Kerry.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
We could certainly put a $$ limit on the items. I wasn't too worried about it though, as I think most everyone here would be on the "up & up".

Hello Kerry.
Darned, and I was planning on trading that Jungle Cock cape for a chunk of road killed Moose Butt
Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Darned, and I was planning on trading that Jungle Cock cape for a chunk of road killed Moose Butt

Well I think I would be willing to accomodate that.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Dan: LMAO! That was great!

Larry
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

BUMP!

What would be a reasonable dollar amount per item? 5$ max? More or less?

Anyone else interested in doing a material swap?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:56 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Just from how I've seen box passes work:

The owner of the pass would put whatever they wanted to start into the box and create an inventory list that would be posted in the thread. You could put in a range of items between $1-$50 if you felt inclined.

The first and future recipients of the box would then select which items they wanted and replace with item of reasonable value (or you could do with like item). The recipients would post what they took and what they replaced it with for approval by the owner. This enables the owner to call b.s. if someone where to try to pull one over on the box pass owner.

The box would then make it's way through the list of people that had signed up ahead of time and eventually making it's way back to the owner where he or she should receive a box of new items that were not started in the pass.

I think it is a great idea with a few questions... 1) all items placed in the box would be new and unused, correct? 2) If they are not new, how do you determine value?

I'm in, if you can get the logistics worked out

Justin