The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Big Streamers for Trout Swap

Done! After make the labels I'll try to throw them in the mail today.

The Drunker Sailor - created by Gary LaFontaine

It's a pretty basic marabou streamer, as you can see. If you are not familiar with LaFontaine's theories, one important aspect for him was balancing imitation - though never strictly, and what he called the "trigger" - or characteristic that makes a fish strike. He pioneered the use of Antron yarn in fly tying, he loved the way the material sparkled and looked like trapped air under water. On this fly the antron is an attraction, but the heavy off-balance weight creates a natural impression of a wounded/dying bait fish and is the real trigger.

I went out and fished one last weekend. It really does roll over and drop between strips. I believe the effect would be increased in still water or deep slow holes and runs.

Hook: #4 3XL
Weighted with two strips of .35 lead wire, along one side of hooks
Head: White plastic craft bead
Body: White Antron yarn
Wing: White Marabou, tied Matuka-style
Collar: Dubbed White Antron

Click the image to open in full size.

And the lot of them:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by dean_mt; 08-30-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Those'll hunt, especially in feb. during the shad kill.

Tomorow is the day everyone, We still waiting on any flies Mark?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Those'll hunt, especially in feb. during the shad kill.

Tomorow is the day everyone, We still waiting on any flies Mark?

Read up a few posts, a few people are running late.

Mine went out yesterday.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Devin sorry for the late response-- just got the power back after the hurricane-As Eric (Mudbug) mentioned some are running just a little late, but I'm sure there are a bunch on the way. In addition to adding posts to the thread when flies are a=received, I go back into the first post in the swap thread to update the status so you can see what flies have been received.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Mark, I hope you didn't get hit too hard. How is everything?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Mark, I hope you didn't get hit too hard. How is everything?
Thanks John-- we made it through very well-- just loss of power for a few days and a little water in through the window seams-- luckily there wasn't much flooding in my immediate area-- but a lot of coastal erosion on area beaches from the storm surge and high tides, and record rainfall has caused pretty severe flooding inland-- some towns in NJ are still under 6' of water.

Although there was a lot of damage elsewhere throughout the eastern seaboard, NYC dodged a major bullet since it didn't hit the city as hard as expected-- the storm shifted east a bit at the last minute so it didn't flood all of lower Manhattan.

There was one pretty funny moment on TV though-- there was a young reporter trying to make a name for himself-- he reported in on live TV absolutely covered in foam from head to toe like he just got out of a bubble bath. He said it was "sea foam" and rolled around in it to get a great picture all covered in it looking like the monster from the black lagoon-- it turned out it was overflow from a sewage treatment plant....

http://nation.foxnews.com/hurrican-i...toxic-sea-foam
Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Good to hear that you and your home are OK, Mark.

And thanks for the story...poor little feller...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Here is the recipe for the Flu Shot:

Hook: Size 4 4XL
Weight: Large gold cone head
Thread: UTC 70 denier (color to match fly)
Flash: Crystal Flash mixed in with marabou in the tail
Tail: Marabou (pick your color)
Body: Crosscut rabbit wrapped forward, then marabou wrapped forward, rabbit wrapped forward, marabou and rabbit one last time.
Collar: Chinese saddle hackle (pick your color)

You can play around with the colors a lot on this pattern and match what colors you think will work well together. This pattern has some great movement in the water and that's why I love it so much.

Tyler
Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Mine are done they'll be in the mail tomorrow. Sorry for holding this swap up.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply Mark. Sorry I hadn't gotten on in a few days, and hadn't read through the thread. Glad everything went ok w/ the hurricane.

Woven, I'll GLADLY wait for anything coming from your vice, and it's going to make me think twice about joining a swap that your in.

Fishing related note: I'm starting to see more pictures of browns showing up in the upper reaches of taney, and with the flooding we had it shold be one of the best fishing falls in a few years time.