The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Big Streamers for Trout Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
WOW! Glad you jumped in on this swap-- that looks like it's tail is twitching just sitting there in the picture. Great pattern!
Thats the first one i ever tied! Also have the materials to do it in olive, will tie one up and post a pic and whatever the consensus is on color I will tie.

As for the pattern, it is posted online by the inventor if anyone wants to search it and have a bang at it themselves! Just search
Mikes red rocket on google

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

so here's the olive version
Click the image to open in full size.

and the olive along side the Tan/yellow

This is the first two flies i've ever tied of this pattern

The final flies will have a tail similar to the length of the one on the olive version, i.e. the marabou veil will be longer. The head will be similar to the one on the tan version, i.e. no big tread head....I will be aiming for a small and compact head like the tan one.

General consenus on what color i should tie would be appreciated....i'll tie one color only, so you guys can pick what you think you would all like most and get back to me. Final decision will be down to moderator.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

so here's the olive version
and the olive along side the Tan/yellow

This is the first two flies i've ever tied of this pattern

The final flies will have a tail similar to the length of the one on the olive version, i.e. the marabou veil will be longer. The head will be similar to the one on the tan version, i.e. no big tread head....I will be aiming for a small and compact head like the tan one.

General consenus on what color i should tie would be appreciated....i'll tie one color only, so you guys can pick what you think you would all like most and get back to me. Final decision will be down to moderator.

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Shoot, I say tie even of each! They both look good! I would catch fish on either version.

I think that with the potential for fish to be had from this swap there needs to be a general concensus that any fish caught on these flies needs to have a picture taken with the fly stuck in it's jaw. Atleast I want to know if mine catch any.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Never thought of tying both colors even....good suggestion....pot luck then what color you get back in swap i guess....

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Man those flies look great! I like the suggestion of tying half and half but if you have to choose only one color I would probably pick the olive.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Fantastic looking pattern there S F. Mine are right at 5 inches, last I measured. So far i've got:
2 Done, 7 Just need the Dubbing loop head, and 3 Haven't started.

I've used an entire pack of yellow marabou, and an entire olive craft fur patch.

The mess.
I have a very similar mess, much to the continual consternation of my better half....it does not make for a good fly tier to have a tidy desk!!!

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

half tempted to tie up some whitlock sculpins.......whats the deadline again? They are a pain in the ass to tie but i should be able to do it. dont put me as a definite yet....yet

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post

The mess.
That is a beautiful mess!

What's the supposed Einstein quote: "A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind" -- that goes for ALL desks, particularly tying desks when under production.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Here is the pattern i was thinking about tying.Anyone know what it is i know i sculpin of some kind.
Click the image to open in full size..
Old 07-26-2011, 03:14 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

STL, September 1st is the date.