The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Popper Swap

I am glad that you guys are all coming on board. This one got a slow start but it is coming on strong since the due date extension!

Thanks again,
Forrest
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Two questions: first, how many people do we now have in the swap?
Second, my poppers have all had chartreuse bodies but with different variations on the accent color balance of red and yellow (and with certain imperfections because I'm new). How uniform do my patterns have to be for this swap?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Second, my poppers have all had chartreuse bodies but with different variations on the accent color balance of red and yellow (and with certain imperfections because I'm new). How uniform do my patterns have to be for this swap?
Gator: If you go back and look at the first thread, you will see that there now are 11 tiers in the popper swap. Just an FYI, Mark always does a good job of going back and editing the first post with additional tiers so that everyone knows who is in on the fly swap.
Don't worry about the different variations on the color, it's no big deal, besides, each tier will only see one of your poppers, Mark is the only one who will see the bunch all together! Don't sweat the small stuff, I'm sure they will fish just fine!

Larry

Old 10-11-2011, 10:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Wow, 11! Ok, only 8 more to tie. Maybe I'll just use the same colors but make each one slightly unique.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Mine aren't even close to matching! They're all completely different.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm in to make it the even dozen. I'll do the earplug popper. It's a tube fly so you can use whatever hook you like. I'll send one with it anyway. I've tried them out on Smallmouth and they work pretty good. One thing I like about them is you can use a short hook. When they run into weeds the pull the fly off ratrher than turn the hook and come off. Something we had happen a few times with bigger long poppers this summer. Because they are so soft I just let one swim with one trying to keep it from realizing it was auling a line around, and it swam a good 15 or 20 feet before spitting it. Between being chewy and tasting like the slime from the fish it had already caught, I would bet it was the line and not the fly that finally made it spit it.

They are easy to make and you can get the parts almost anyplace. If you can find a good source for the ear plugs brand "Spark Plugs", they come in a bunch of colors. I have not experimented with painting them but have used markers on them.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
OK, I'm in to make it the even dozen. I'll do the earplug popper. It's a tube fly so you can use whatever hook you like. I'll send one with it anyway. I've tried them out on Smallmouth and they work pretty good. One thing I like about them is you can use a short hook. When they run into weeds the pull the fly off ratrher than turn the hook and come off. Something we had happen a few times with bigger long poppers this summer. Because they are so soft I just let one swim with one trying to keep it from realizing it was auling a line around, and it swam a good 15 or 20 feet before spitting it. Between being chewy and tasting like the slime from the fish it had already caught, I would bet it was the line and not the fly that finally made it spit it.

They are easy to make and you can get the parts almost anyplace. If you can find a good source for the ear plugs brand "Spark Plugs", they come in a bunch of colors. I have not experimented with painting them but have used markers on them.
YES!!!!!!! I saw these on your other post. I was hoping I would get my hands on one of those
Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing I forgot to mention, if a fish busts you off or a toothy one clips it off, you can get it back. they will pull off the hook and float. If you are in a boat you get all of them back and in waders all of them you are willing to swim for.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dan, great to have you in the swap, those poppers look like a blast to fish.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
those poppers look like a blast to fish.
They are! They are also the perfect Smallmouth Bass size. If you have Pike there where you plan to fish them, you may want to put a heavier mono bite tippet on because the little line clippers also love them. I had a really big pike blow up on a little popper this summer, but it missed it completely and never came back after it. You actually have a better chance of landing a big one that hits a popper without a wire leader than a small one. The teeth on the little ones are so dang sharp if they hit it right you barely feel them before the fly is gone. These in theory are all recoverable because the hook is not part of the fly.