The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Popper Swap

Thanks to Forrest (Famill00) for a great suggestion-- how about a popper swap?

Poppers can be made of hard or soft foam, cork, balsa etc and should be of a size suitable for either bass or panfish.

How about a Due Date of Nov 30, 2011?

1. Famill00- RECEIVED
2. JoJer- RECEIVED
3. Gatortransplant RECEIVED
4. Smalliesrule RECEIVED
5. Rip Tide - RECEIVED
6. Swirlchaser - RECEIVED
7. Pocono - RECEIVED
8. peregrines
9. Kelkay - Balsa wood popper - RECEIVED
10.Mcnerney RECEIVED
11.Diver Dan Ear Plug Tube Popper RECEIVED

Last edited by peregrines; 01-13-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Popper Swap

Sounds like a plan to me. Hopefully we will get a few more people in on this one. My popper will probably not be overly painted/screen printed as I have not made them before. However, I bet what I come up with will catch at least a bluegill. I guess I need to go to the Dollar Tree now and get myself a pair of flip flops and Home Depot to get one of those slug cutters! I am pretty excited about this swap.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Never tied a popper and won't join another swap for something I'm not sure of again after getting my butt kicked in the Pike/Muskie fly swap.

I'll watch how this goes. I'll try tying up some deer hair panfish poppers I was thinking about. If I feel good about it and there is still a spot at that point I may join.

Regardless of what I do, I'm very interested in what ya'll do.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Flip flops and slug cutters? So that is the trick to yielding popper foam? I gotta see this And Mudbug, my tying as it stands is ABYSMAL, so I'm sure yours will shine compared to whatever I produce.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Flip flops and slug cutters? So that is the trick to yielding popper foam? I gotta see this And Mudbug, my tying as it stands is ABYSMAL, so I'm sure yours will shine compared to whatever I produce.
My problem was that I had only tied smaller versions of these types of flies, never any of the 8" versions.

I severely misjudged the amount of time and materials I would need.

This is why I won't join another unless I know what I'm getting into.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 AM

Mudbug, don't be down on yourself! I take these swaps as a way to challenge myself to do/try something new. I too did the pike swap. I used alot of material also, but I found it to be a lot of fun. Did my flies look like something you would buy? Probably not!. Will they catch fish? Probably yes! You should go ahead and jump in on this one and see what you come up with. Also, if you are concerned with material consumption, you may consider foam instead of deer hair as spinning deer hair eats up alot of materials. Let's all have fun with this!

-Forrest
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM

BUMP!

Anyone else want in on this? I stopped by Cabelas for hooks and whatnot today

-Forrest
Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I picked up my hooks the other day, but I'm undecided on what I want to tie just yet. I picked up a copy of fly tyer magazine for inspiration!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 AM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

If it's not too late I'd like to get in on this one.
I'll tie a stealth bomber sized for smallies.....imagine that!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in as well
The last poppers I made were 3/0, I'll try and tone it down
Would size 2 be too large mail wise ?