The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default new around here

im new around this board do you just tie a fly and send it to someone and they send one back?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new around here

Even though I as yet haven't joined any of The Fly Tying Swaps,the go is: Firstly a Fly Style,Pattern with a deadline for submission is announced then names are submitted from around 12 Tiers,there might even be a few more,with the pattern they are going to tie.
They then each tie that number of Flies & send them to the Swap Organiser with the relevant posting gear.
He then distributes one of each of the Flies from the 12 or how many tiers via the material he recieved,presto job done,so all who entered ends up with 12 or so different Flies.
Check out The Fly Swap Sections as you will see some Beaut Flies,especially The Salmon Swap ones The ones Ard & the others have tied are better than any others I've seen.
Brian

Last edited by Liphookedau; 09-15-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

When I was new here, I created a new kind of streamer. I ended up posting it and sending a few samples to Peregines. The man, in return, sent me samples of his streamers along with the recipes for them.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The procedure is pinned right to the top this page.

Fly Swap Guidelines
Old 09-16-2011, 06:44 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Riptide,I can't remember reading Frank"s posting,all I've done is check out The Swap Posts.
Brian.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Grassonfly and Liphookedau -- we'll be running a bunch more swaps starting soon-- 2 are coming to an end as we speak (one swap for Pike flies and one for streamers for big trout).

Riptide provided a link to the swap guidelines, but just to emphasize it -- everyone is always welcome to participate regardless of previous tying experience so if you see a swap that interests you feel free to sign up.

We try and mix it up an usually have at least a couple swaps running at the same time -- usually something for cold water fish (mostly trout flies and an occassional salmon/steelhead swap) and something for other species (swaps for warm water stiff like bass and panfish, pike/musky and/or saltwater). You can get an idea of some of the different types of swaps we've had in the past from the fly swap picture forum.

Feel free to PM me if you have ideas for swaps you'd like to see.