The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Swap (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/)
-   -   Great Lakes Steelhead Swap (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/198768-great-lakes-steelhead-swap.html)

peregrines 10-26-2011 01:50 PM

Great Lakes Steelhead Swap

Winter is fast approaching, which for some on the forum means snow, sleet, frostbite, pneumonia and steelhead. -- Thanks to Gatortransplant for the suggestion!

Any Steelhead fly, especially patterns for winter steelhead in the Great Lakes tribs are good for this swap. In order to encourage new tyers, easier to tie patterns like Eggs, Sucker Spawn, are acceptable for this swap, as are traditional western patterns, tubes etc. (Like the last 2 years, we'll run a another Atlantic/Pacific Salmon and Steelhead Fly Swap after the New Year that will exclude egg patterns.)

Because the holidays are approaching how about a due date of Jan 31, 2012?
1. s. fontinalis - Robinson's Chicken Hawk RECEIVED
2. Gatortrasnsplant - Steelhead Hammer RECEIVED
3. Famill00 - Egg Sucking Leech - RECEIVED
4. HuronRiverDan - TBD
5. Steelhead Junkie - Egg Sucking Leech
6. Peregrines - Something to bounce and something to swing (1 of each)

s fontinalis 10-26-2011 02:06 PM

Re: Great Lakes Steelhead Swap

also in....

peregrines 10-26-2011 02:21 PM

Excellent, this will be a fun one.

s fontinalis 10-26-2011 02:22 PM

i sure hope so. Maybe i get another big articulated beast tied up....but maybe i'll go a bit less crazy

gatortransplant 10-26-2011 02:29 PM

I'm undecided on whether I want to tie up my so-called "Ellicott Special". I want to fish it a bit more before I curse anyone to a one-fish fly. However, I'm in.

s fontinalis 10-26-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortransplant (Post 337983)
I'm undecided on whether I want to tie up my so-called "Ellicott Special". I want to fish it a bit more before I curse anyone to a one-fish fly. However, I'm in.

Great idea. I really like that fly. Will you do a step by step if you can get the time? Or at least send me the materials list. I"m hitting Steelhead water in a couple weeks and wouldn't mind assisting you testing of this fly if i can get a couple tied up.

gatortransplant 10-26-2011 02:54 PM

I'll do a step-by-step, but I can also just send you some if you'd like :) I got to campus early today thinking I had to do something which I didn't so I threw a few casts with a newly tied E.S. I lost it to a snag, but before then I got to see it running in the water and I really like it. Let's just hope the steelhead continue to like it as well.

famill00 10-26-2011 03:59 PM

I'm in! Pattern TBD.

-Forrest

s fontinalis 10-27-2011 12:32 PM

I'll tie Robinson's Chicken Hawk

peregrines 10-27-2011 01:55 PM

Great Forrest (Famill00) glad to have you in on this one.

Eunan-- Robinson's Chicken Hawk-- it's got to be a killer pattern with name like that-- looking forward to seeing it.