The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winged Wet Fly Swap

Excellent guys, glad you all jumped in.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough

In, with Queen of the Waters.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:01 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great, glad you're in the Queen of the Waters is a beautiful pattern.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough

im in i dont know what ill tie yet
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Great Austin, glad you jumped in.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

I am a new/novis tyer so this will be a stretch for me. I had to read the guideline since I knew nothing about what is expect of the tyers.

As a new tyer, can I get some suggestions on what would be good to tie.
I saw the Wet Fly Tie-along thread, could I pick one from there?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Dave, picking from the wet fly tie-along is a great idea. I'm brand new to tying as well, so I may do something similar, but any wet fly is acceptable, and the fact that you'll probably learn more from following a pattern from the wet fly tie-along makes it that much better!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I have no idea if the standard of "Wet Fly" will be strict here, but keep in mind that in that thread there are actually 3 "Wets" and 3 Streamers" with the difference being that a Wet usually has a feather wing and a very short, sparse tail. The streamer may have a wing of any material and a tail tied in at back that streams behind it.

Out of the 3 wet flies in that thread the soft hackle and the flymph would both be good choices for tiers early in their learning, but they won't be easy as pie, they will push you a bit.

Just for your research you can find a bunch of classic wets HERE, and HERE

Soft Hackles HERE

Soft Hackles and Flymphs HERE

EDIT - I'm not gonna delete my post because I think it has some useful info, but I forgot that this is a WINGED WET swap. So from the tie along thread only the Leadwing Coachman is correct, and only my first two links are correct.

Last edited by mudbug; 11-01-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Dave - you can tie any winged-wet pattern that you like. And novices are always welcome, it's a great way to get your practice tying in, share with other tiers and then see a bunch of patterns from your peers.

I think did that tie-along, was it with Pocono? Allan is a superb tier and really understands those classic patterns. I would highly recommend the novice tier to use his tutorial. Plus if you run into a problem and post a question on that thread, someone will probably come back and help you out.

One bit of caution, traditional winged wets with matched slip wings i.e. Leadwing Coachman are not a novice tie. It definitely takes some technical skill. But don't let that stop you...just be forewarned! I am not very good at it and would probably have to tie 20 to get a dozen good ones. Which is why I am tying a diving caddis - it is technically a wet fly with a wing, but wing is simply a feather hackle. Look at a bunch of patterns and find a winged wet that looks like something you can handle. And have fun, these swaps are great for learning new patterns, old patterns, techniques...I love em!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Which is why I am tying a diving caddis - it is technically a wet fly with a wing, but wing is simply a feather hackle.

also the reason for my Dark Cahill.