The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winged Wet Fly Swap

I don't know how much of a stickler Mark is on the theme, but it is Winged Wets, mudbug...meaning that soft hackles (and the flymph variation on soft hackled flies) are not winged.

And I love the Dark Cahill, the golden mallard wing is one of my favorites.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

I am going to push myself and go with the Leadwing Coachman. I have everything except the paired Mallard wing feathers. I might have to but more than one set before I get it right...
Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea Mark.

I've been caught up in a move for the past few weeks; now moved out of the Poconos and into a new (old) house in Merrimac, MA.

Wet flies are a favorite of mine. I got lucky and spent a day tying winged wets with Don Bastian at LLBean's anchor store in Freeport, ME this Summer, so I've got a few new ideas.

I'm in and will name a pattern by the end of this week; I have to take a look at Bergman's book Trout before I make up my mind; only 500+ winged wets to chose from in that book!

Pocono

PS - If you include streamers under the heading of wet flies, then I've got a series of Carrie Stevens patterns that I've been tying with Selene Dumaine that might make good swap flies. But, if not, then classic winged wets are just fine with me.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:20 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I have no idea if the standard of "Wet Fly" will be strict here, but keep in mind that in that thread there are actually 3 "Wets" and 3 Streamers" with the difference being that a Wet usually has a feather wing and a very short, sparse tail. The streamer may have a wing of any material and a tail tied in at back that streams behind it.

Out of the 3 wet flies in that thread the soft hackle and the flymph would both be good choices for tiers early in their learning, but they won't be easy as pie, they will push you a bit.

Just for your research you can find a bunch of classic wets HERE, and HERE

Soft Hackles HERE

Soft Hackles and Flymphs HERE

EDIT - I'm not gonna delete my post because I think it has some useful info, but I forgot that this is a WINGED WET swap. So from the tie along thread only the Leadwing Coachman is correct, and only my first two links are correct.

Just had look at that second link there Mudbug, and that Fontinalis Fin is a dream. I might have to switch up my plan, all things considered!! I even changed my avatar to that fly.

Either that, or tie two flies...

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-02-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 AM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough

i will be tying my version of the tellico, the tellico flymph i fish this fly both on a dead drift and 3 of them on a wet fly swing. they will be size 12
Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

So for wings, what is the best material to use?
Goose? Turkey?

Seems like those are the species that come in the greatest variety of colors.
Just asking as this Fontinalis Fin is looking more and more appealing, if not for the swap, just as something to tie.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
So for wings, what is the best material to use?
Goose? Turkey?

Seems like those are the species that come in the greatest variety of colors.
Just asking as this Fontinalis Fin is looking more and more appealing, if not for the swap, just as something to tie.

Eunan
Wow, that is an absolute beauty! Amazing fly. I just love those old patterns.

Can't wait to hear how stacking three colors together works. Good to Pocono jumping in here, if anyone can advise you on his it would Alan.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Married Wings For Morons - Courtesy of Don Bastian's Blog.
I hope some folks find this useful!

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Where are the pictures! Morons don't read that much...we need pictures!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, what you want for most of the wet fly wings is Mallard; either natural or dyed. Goose will work, as will Turkey, but you get a distinctively different (and I think better) look with dyed mallard.

Don Bastian sells dyed mallard wing feathers and from the supply that he had with him this July, he probably still has some; with very high quality. Message him at his website and he'll probably have what you need.

Don Bastian Wet Flies

Pocono