The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Small Streamer Swap

Three of my swap sets were waiting for the final swap (second midge swap) which is finally done, should be out soon!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

A dozen Milkweed Flies done and headed to Mark in tomorrow's mail.

One little problem...............the wings are not made of milkweed. Here's how that happened.

I harvested a bunch of ripe milkweed pods from my neighbor's field a couple of years ago; enough to tie up hundreds of flies. But, when I went to use them this time, the seeds had dried to the point where they had become detached from the fibers, making it almost impossible to assemble wings.

Since milkweed is seasonal, that left me with some valuable knowledge; harvest fresh milkweed pods every year and the need to substitute materials.

So, these flies are actually tied up with select white marabou wings. They'll probably work just as well and the flies tied with milkweed fiber wings, but they're a lot more common now. Sorry.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: Daiichi 2220, streamer, #14
Thread: Danville FlyMaster 6/0, white / black
Tail: Wood duck flank barbs
Body: Flat Silk, #237 orange
Rib: UTC tinsel, flat, silver, sm.
Throat: Wood duck blank barbs
Wing: Marabou, white, select

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 02-16-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pocono: That fly looks killer, congrats! I can't wait to give it a test run on the waters around Pinedale, WY once we thaw out.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Totally worth the wait, Allen.

These small streamers have late summer written all over them for me anyway.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

That looks great Pocono!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Streamers from Mudbug made it here so we're getting there-- Great looking flies Pocono!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Allan's Milkweed streamers made it-- how's every one else doing -- we still have 3 sets to go.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Mine are headed your way, actually labelled this time!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thursday is March 1...only one month "delayed". Come on guys, you can do it!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Streamers from Gatortransplant came yesterday so this ones' a wrap. I'll take pics and send out to all on Monday.