The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brook Trout Fly Swap, Spring 29012

Thanks to Brent (Aroostookbasser) for suggesting this one--

Note: We changed the name from the Brook Trout Mega Swap to the Brook Trout Fly Swap and reduced the number of participants from the original 25 back down to 13.

Here's a great opportunity to fill up a fly box with an assortment of proven brook trout patterns. Nymphs wets, dries and streamers are all eligible

This swap will be open to the first 13 tyers that respond-- each participant ties up 12 flies and will get back a 12 flies-- one from each of the other tyers.

Due Date is May 1, 2012

I will send out a PM with my address etc to all

1. Aroostookbasser - Olive Scud
2. Fire instructor - Bead Head Pheasant Tail Nymph RECEIVED
3. Famill00 San Juan Worm RECEIVED
4. Crazyfish13 - Bead Head Green Weenie RECEIVED
5. trout2234 Bead Head Pink Squirrel
6. dsmith1437 Prince Nymph RECEIVED
7. Mcnerney Black and Red Ants RECEIVED
8. kayo- PMD Para Emerger RECEIVED
9. Dave5977 - TBD
10. Liphookedau- Trude style Grizzly King wet RECEIVED
11. Popperfly - Hare's Ear Nymph RECEIVED
12. Frostylemonade - Foam Beetle RECEIVED
13. Gatortransplant

Last edited by peregrines; 05-05-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Brook Trout Flies MegaSwap, Spring 29012

I'll be tying an olive scud.......a top trout choice here in Maine rivers.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark: I'd like to join in on this one, I'll let you know on the pattern.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM

trout2234 is on a distinguished road

Im going to be tying the driftless famous bead head pink squirrel

Exploring the Driftless Area of SW WI and SE MN. Dry or Die.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

A question of preference?

I was taught to tie the Pheasant Tail Nymph with a peacock herl thorax. I wanted to go over this fly from several sources, to get it "correct" for the Swap, and I've now seen PTN's with thorax's made from peacock herl, florescent green antron yarn, several shades of green dubbing, and even one with green wire (wasn't a bead head) to give it weight.

So as I get ready to start my BH-PTN "mass production", are there any preferences? If no specific preferences, I'll likely use the peacock as I was taught, but I figured I'd ask....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Whatever you want to tie will work for most everyone I'd say

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-17-2012, 11:07 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I'd like to join with a PMD Para Emerger
Old 02-18-2012, 07:27 AM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Mark,

In the driftless area in WI, when the water is stained after a rain you go to a San Juan Worm. Please put me down for a San Juan Worm.

-Forrest

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout2234 View Post
Im going to be tying the driftless famous bead head pink squirrel
You beat me to it! John Bethke is a genius!

-Forrest
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great kayo, glad to have you in this one.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by famill00 View Post
Mark,

You beat me to it! John Bethke is a genius!

-Forrest

Ditto. I was going to sign up, but I'm not sure that I've got enough time right now to tie up 25 flies of anything for a swap. Those pink squirrels are downright deadly.