The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bob Clouser Pattern Swap, Spring 2012

I knew that I would have some time to get started on mine, last night, so yesterday I went to THREE different fly shops in my area trying to find all the materials that I need. No problem getting the hooks I needed, but one shop (the one that I traveled 50+ miles to get to!) had a paper sign on the door that said "Closed for Vacation 'til March 1", and NEITHER of the other two had the lead eyes that I needed.... And I had verified the hours of the closed shop on their website before I left, and there was NO MENTION of the vacation....

So last night I finished my tying class homework flies (five Blue Wing Olives - Wet) and then started on my two-dozen flies (BH-PTN's) for the Brookie Swap, instead....

Tuesday, I have to drive to Just south of DC, so I may just route a bit west, and find myself needing a break from the long drive somewhere in the Hamburg, PA area....

"Oh, Look!!! A Cabela's!!! What a great place to take a break during a long drive!!!"

They should have the lead eyes that I need.....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
I knew that I would have some time to get started on mine, last night, so yesterday I went to THREE different fly shops in my area trying to find all the materials that I need. No problem getting the hooks I needed, but one shop (the one that I traveled 50+ miles to get to!) had a paper sign on the door that said "Closed for Vacation 'til March 1", and NEITHER of the other two had the lead eyes that I needed.... And I had verified the hours of the closed shop on their website before I left, and there was NO MENTION of the vacation....

So last night I finished my tying class homework flies (five Blue Wing Olives - Wet) and then started on my two-dozen flies (BH-PTN's) for the Brookie Swap, instead....

Tuesday, I have to drive to Just south of DC, so I may just route a bit west, and find myself needing a break from the long drive somewhere in the Hamburg, PA area....

"Oh, Look!!! A Cabela's!!! What a great place to take a break during a long drive!!!"

They should have the lead eyes that I need.....
Use bead chain for eyes. You can buy them at any hardware store. You can also cannibalize a lamp, blinds, keychain, dogtags...

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I just realized that by the time these flies arrive we will be be fishing the prespawn. They usually like big, gawdy flies during this time. If no one objects I'm going to scale up the fly a bit from the pick I posted.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Use bead chain for eyes. You can buy them at any hardware store. You can also cannibalize a lamp, blinds, keychain, dogtags...
But beads from a keychain won't provide the weight that the lead or tungsten eyes will, would it?

Besides, It validates my excuse for stopping at Cabela's! ;^)

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
But beads from a keychain won't provide the weight that the lead or tungsten eyes will, would it?

Besides, It validates my excuse for stopping at Cabela's! ;^)
One size bigger than a keychain will make it dive pretty well but don't let me stop a trip to Cabela's!!! Have fun.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:57 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i'm in WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too many swaps to even consider this one. Cant wait to see the flies though!

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
i'm in WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too many swaps to even consider this one. Cant wait to see the flies though!

Oh come on, what's one more?!?!??!?!

-Forrest
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

O.K. bead chain is good, especially BIG bead chain.
reminds me to get some next time i'm in the city, seems like they had some rainbow colored bead chain?

Cabela's is good especially because the others guys are out messing around instead of working the shop.

another swap is good because,uh i dunno, just because.

man o man, if you want a big Clouser, i made 'em. size 1 Mustad 4820.
this has got to be the heaviest hook i've seen for its size.

all i gotta do now is ship 'em off to peregrine.

all good

buzz

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

i guess it's no secret Kaufmann's Streamborn closed up shop.

has there been a post about this news on the forum.?

let me know about it.

i had several of Randall's catalogs but years ago i needed to tidy up so i threw them out. bummer

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

There are never enough swaps!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Mine went in the mail on Thursday, should be there by Monday.

Mark,
You can hold on to mine until the saltwater swap is done and send them all to me together.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Marco, I'll let you know when they come in.