The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Terrestrial Swap, Spring 2012

Mark - If someone from "across the pond" (ScoobyScott) wants to play, I'll even contribute to the necessary postage!!!

And BTW - I was looking on-line at some patterns and recipes, and since a couple of others have expressed interest in foam beetlles, I may change to something else.

Found a REAL neat grasshopper pattern that I want to try....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Found a REAL neat grasshopper pattern that I want to try....
Which one? You might convince me to join in anyway,.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I have a black and brown, grey wing hopper that I could contribute to the swap. I call it the 'canyon hopper', after the dark hoppers in the canyons here.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 AM

scoobyscott is on a distinguished road

Thanks Rick nice offer but no need I'll cover my costs if I'm in the few pound will be worth it for some flies that you just can't get over here. Do you auction a set for charity? One last question, probably a bit daft do you get daddies over there? Don't want to tie flies that are no use
Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyscott View Post
do you get daddies over there? Don't want to tie flies that are no use
Daddy long-legs are one of the most commonly seen spiders, at least here in the Northeast!

And stl_geoff, the hopper pattern that interested me is this one: Skunk Hopper Fly Pattern info and Recipe - Dennis Potter I just have to find the "banded" leg material (as opposed to individual legs).

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks Rick nice offer but no need I'll cover my costs if I'm in the few pound will be worth it for some flies that you just can't get over here. Do you auction a set for charity? One last question, probably a bit daft do you get daddies over there? Don't want to tie flies that are no use

Apparently there are 3 different bugs known as daddy long legs and we have all of them.

1.) The spider

2.) Something that looks kinda like a spider but it's not because the body is just one part.

3.) Something that we call a "Mosquito Hawk" around here, but others call them a "Crane Fly" or a Daddy Long Legs.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 AM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Welcome to the US site!! Scoobyscott recently ran the klinkndink2 swap on the UK site, which was a great success (flies were outstanding).

Late summer, meadow stream, hay cutting, DLLs.

Hugh
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM

scoobyscott is on a distinguished road

Thanks Hugh, you had a chance to wet any of the klink swap flies?
The Crane fly is the one I was thinking of although I much prefer mosquito hawk sounds feirce
Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent-- there was quite a response to this one including from some new folks to fly swaps-- rather than turn any one away how about we expanmd this to 15 swappers-- (normally the limit is 13).

If everyone ties up 14 flies instead of the usual 12, then each of the 15 swappers will get back 14 flies, one from each of the other tyers...

So mudbug, kayo, JoJer, Futuramille, stl_geoff, scoobyscott and tbblom you folks are all in.

I'll send PMs to all with my address
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Well I think im going to have to bow out of this one guys. looking at the due date plus other swaps Im and the fact I will have a new born at that time, Im not sure i'll be able to get em done.

Storm Drain Bonefisher