The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mayfly Drake Fly Swap

In many areas the hatches of big honking mayflies known as "drakes" are much anticipated. Some of these mayflies hatch in huge numbers over a wide range in their regions. Others are much more localized and more of a hit or miss thing.

Flie sof rthis swap can be nymphs emergers, duns or spinners-- whatever you have found to be most effective. The large size of the naturals have led to many creative patterns including wiggle-nymphs, and extended bodies-- so let your creative jusices flow.

Both traditional materials or new-fangled stuff like foam and other synthetics are fair game.

Because common names can be confusing and often differ widely for the same critter, I've attempted to include scientific names too here.

Mayflies commonly referred to as "Drakes" are typically at least a size 12 and some much larger     
Common Name Scientific name East Midwest West
(Eastern) Green Drakes (for the dun) and the Coffin Fly (for the spinner) Ephemera guttulata X  
Western Green Drakes Drunella grandis X
Dark Green Drake Litobrancha recurvata X X
Brown Drakes Ephemera simulans X X X
Gray Drake Siphlonurus quebecensis X X  
Gray Drake Siphlonurus occidentalis X
Yellow Drake Ephemera varia X X
Green Drake Hexagenia rigida X X  
Golden Drake Anthropotamanthus distinctus X  
Big Slate Drake Hexagenia atrocaudata X X  
Other mayflies also sometimes called "drakes" are eligible too     
Lesser Green Drake Drunella flavlinea X
Slate Drake Isonychia sp. X X X

Due Date June 1, 2012

Limited to 13 swappers-- tie up 12 flies and get 12 back (1 fly from each of the other swappers)

1. s fontinalis- Eastern Green Drake Cripple
2. gatortransplant AJ"s Svenska Fluga
3. Fire Instructor- Elk Hair Brown Drake and Dryer Sheet Drakes RECEIVED
4. Hooked1- Black Drake RECEIVED
5. Watson - AP Nymph RECEIVED
6. logic factory- Drake Emerger
7. famill00 - Clouser Green Drake RECEIVED
8. Liphookedau - Cream Mayfly RECEIVED
9. Popperfly - Green Drake Emerger RECEIVED
10. Tamster321 - Slate Drake RECEIVED
11. Danielp - Ephemera danica (a European drake mayfly similar to our eastern green drakes)12.

Last edited by peregrines; 06-02-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Mayfly Drake Fly Swap

In for a green drake cripple

Addicted To Vise
Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent Eunan
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'd really like to try this one too... I may be overextending myself, but I really need to get into the dry-fly-tying game... So I'm in. I figure I should tie something to replicate the big mayfly hatches they have in Sweden.

Pattern TBD!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Cool AJ. If you're looking for patterns I think the "Danica"mayfly (Ephemera danica) at about a size 12, is common big mayfly in Sweden (and much of Europe including Great Britain). Although a bit smaller than our eastern green drake, it looks to be quite similar in its nymph, dun, and spinner stages and is in the same mayfly genus (Ephemera).

You can find tons of patterns for it doing the google or come up with your own version
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Elk Hair Brown Drake, for me! June 1 will be tight, but I'll plug away at it....

(Are you seeing a pattern with the elk hair yet, Mark?)

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Sounds good Rick-- i take it you have a pet elk?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough

I'm in.Looks like a Black Drake for me.

Scott
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

If a A.P Nymph works for you guys I wouldn't mind in on this.
I know its not a straight up drake imitation or anything fancy, but it seems to do the trick.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Surprised that more folks haven't gotten into this swap. Lots of different, good, effective Mayfly Drake patterns out there, of all varied degree of ease / difficulty in tying.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky