The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Not to nit-pick....

Well maybe just ALITTLE bit....I have noticed from the several past swaps that the flies recieved we all new ties. In one of the recent swaps I recieved a fly in it that was very clearly heavily used. I will not say who or what it is, if the mods think this is something that should stay to PM's, then lets take it there. However, I had a new one to compair it to, the ribbing was gone, the shellback was half popped out from under the thread wraps and most clearly there was a short piece of tippet material with a knot on the eye still attached. Im not upset or angry with it, it is what it is. Just saying that if you're going to throw in a used one, atleast make sure the tippet is cut off and its in decent shape. Thanks for the all the flies guys!
popperfly and jaybo41 like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not to nit-pick....

I have to agree, the idea with the fly sways is to be sharing patterns that you personally have tied and that are NEW, not used flies. Nothing wrong with testing the flies first before sending them in, but those flies that you have tested with should stay in your fly box.
jaybo41 likes this.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Not nit-picking at all.

Sending anything but a fresh fly is just wrong. And not only a fresh fly but the best ones you can tie.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't consider this nit picking by any means. This is courtesy and goes against the intention of a fly swap. I applaud you for bringing up the issue and for not pointing fingers publicly.

I participated in a swap on another forum and one of the flies I received had a rusted hook and looked to have seen some action. Ok, maybe LOTS of action. It was bad form to send it in to the swap host. When I mentioned this to the swap host and shot him a photo, he apologized as he'd somehow missed it. The host had respectable credibility, I'm surprised he missed it but stuff happens I suppose. I get it that people have different skill levels, may not use the same quality materials I personally use and that's totally fine. This is all part of a swap. I guess if that's the worst thing that happens to me in a swap, I can live with it. I saw one guy host a swap, get sent the flies and then disappear with flies from 16 guys plus bonus flies for moderators and host. Brutal.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi guys,

I'm back! We took a little trip; I believe our swaps need some fine tunning and will be talking with Mark again soon about this and other issues.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Whatever you guys do, Im sure it will wokr out for the best.

I should also mention, I'm still going to look at all the swaps going on and plan to join any good ones still. Out of 5-6 swaps Ive done in the past 1 or so, I have only gotten this one "problem" fly, im not worried about it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Maybe someone can reillitrate the swap rules or post them?

I would agree with the others, new materials should be used if youíre getting involved in swaps. Who wants to receive flies with old dingy materials not worth giving away, flies that have been used before or flies tied by someone else. The purpose of getting into swaps is to show your talents, learn from other tiers, enjoy the fellowship and get back something you donít have in your fly box. Just my two cents worth.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I think it should be flies that are new and not used .I have took part in 4 or 5 swaps and it was a great experence . i wanted in the brook trout and the terristeral swaps but felt i didn't have the time with all i had going with working ,fishing and being behind on some flies that i tie for other people. i do look forward to getting back in on some that may be coming up later.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:37 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a possible solution.

Add a line that says all flies to be fresh and tied with new materials.

Then if used flies are sent:

Send the used flies back to the swapper using the postage he has prepaid. Send the unused new flies that would have gone to the "used fly" swapper, back to the original tier. No one gets old used flies, and I would rather have one of my flies back than a used one.

No one gets any used flies and the used fly swapper gets the message.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Just throwing this out there before we burn the used fly swapper at the stake.....

This may very simply be an accident and not as malicious as it is being made out to be. Perhaps the tier had put the flies in a pile and accidentally mixed up a used one in there. Accidents do happen and I am sure that a couple people are less than perfectly organized