The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Time To Talk About Some New Fly Swaps;

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
And don't get all bent out of shape because someone calls you out on getting nice flies for nothing!

Guess what... I had no idea you were calling me out until I saw this and went and checked to find you were in one of the last Swaps we had here that I was in.

If my ant is one that you felt was a rip off then you are missing out and that's your own fault.

Is my cracker ant the best ant pattern around? I don't know, but I know that for me and everyone I know that has tried it it's a dang good fly.

yes it's easy to tie, but that's the point. It also happens to catch fish, take a beating well, be easy to see, and keep floating when other flies are not.

Try fishing it, try tying some up because while you may think I put no effort into it, I'm the only one in the swap that went through the trouble to put up a Sep by Step on how to tie it.

Why did I do that? well it wasn't because I was being lazy about my choice, it's because I really like this fly and I thought others might also.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Quote:
I think this would avoid feelings of being slightly jilted when receiving flies that are just so simple it hurts [ie, why did I spend so much darn time?! I could have tied something simple!

I really don't understand your thinking on this... You mean that you will only submit something you are proud of if you are sure you are getting something back that YOU FEEL is of equal or better value?

That just seems , well, selfish.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, if I am I'm sorry, but so far in all of your posts you seem to be mostly concerned with what you are getting.
Liphookedau likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It just makes people feel a little ripped off by the whole swap process.
Have you talked to others who feel the same way or are you just speaking for yourself?

I think trying to regulate 'quality' in swaps is unmanageable. Even defining 'quality' is tough - do you define it by complexity or effectiveness or effort? Who will be the judge?

For a swap I sent an incredibly easy foam beetle. I didn't send it because it's the 'best' (read most complex) fly I can tie, but because I have found it very effective in multiple States, and because I have given it to others who have found it effective. I received some amazing flies in the swap. Flies that took far more time, effort, and skill the my beetle, flies that will never catch a fish because I am keeping them to learn from. Others I've fished with and some I've already lost to fish or brush. I doubt many would 'learn' from mine, but I hope they catch some fish with it, perhaps lose is casting to a hard to get trout, and not think twice because it was a simple fly.

Folks need to enter swaps open to whatever will be sent. If you're going to feel 'ripped off', it might be best to avoid swaps or only join swaps with strict rules to ensure expectations are met. I hope anyone who ties will join without worry of being judged by other members, and I expect to get a wide range of flies when I enter one.
dean_mt and noreaster like this.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Mudbug.
Like you One set of Dries & possibly onother Set I Tied were very Simple,others I've submitted have taken time to Tie.
The Reason I Submit any Flies like most others is I'd like to share Patterns which catch Fish,as everyone I know Ties Their own Recipes of certain Flies,After all isn't This The Idea of The Swaps????
Brian.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I just love those dam fat fussy Hare's Ears. They CATCH fish. I wish I new how to tie one.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Not to interject in what is going on here, but Ard I sent you a PM with some swap ideas that I would like you to consider. Please get back to me when you can...

-Forrest
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I just hope everything turns out for The Better & we can Start Swapping again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ard,sorry to Hi-Jack your Thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
I just love those dam fat fussy Hare's Ears. They CATCH fish. I wish I new how to tie one.
Go to You-Tube where David Strawhorn a Young Scottish Guy shows how,it's a very easy Fly to Tie.
Brian
popperfly likes this.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 10-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I've participated in other types of swaps on other forums. I think I am missing something here.

The ones I participated in were hosted by a member who posted a sign up thread. All the interested parties used the thread to sign up. The host was just a virtual host to organize the names and partners, he didn't handle th packages accept for his own partner.

Upon sign up deadline or when all spaces were filled, The original poster then listed the swap partners on the first page of the post. It was up to the partners to work out their own shipping, packaging and postage details. I sent my paid postage package to my partner and the partner sent me his in return. No need to include return postage when turn around is fair play. No need for a middle man to handle the packages a second time. Is there? Maybe this format failed before but seemed pretty straight forward.

Like I said maybe I missed something to do with the logistics of this swap.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Folks need to enter swaps open to whatever will be sent.
Except used flies. That was alittle disapointing.
tbblom and noreaster like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

ok, maybe jilted or ripped of is not the right term. And I will repeat that
EVERY FLY I RECEIVED WAS A QUALITY FLY, but...
There was a huge range of time investment in the flies.

Mudbug, your cracker ant is great. Don't get me wrong. I think it will be a great fall dry fly around here. What I was saying is that perhaps 'terrestrial' is too wide a category. A box full of simple foam beetles would have been great, and I would have added my own to the mix.
I just wish I had known better and tied something simpler instead of spending several hours on a more intricate pattern.

I would like to trade simple flies for simple flies, and complex flies for complex flies. Although it is impossible to control quality or ability, some more descriptors in the swap title might be helpful in terms of knowing what to expect. I know you guys are proud of your flies, as am I. All I received were great flies, but in the future I would like to trade 'like for like' in terms of complexity. Sorry if I hurt any feelings, but I do believe this is a great debate about making the swaps more beneficial to all involved.
For another example, if we had a 'dry fly swap' would you want to trade a nice Stimulator for a thread midge? I would rather trade a midge for a midge...

Here is the recipe list that I posted on 5/28/12:
TB's canyon hopper
Hook:#8, 2xl nymph/streamer hook (keeps the hopper right side up)
Umpqua U103
Thread: Danville 3/0 dark grey
Body: Brown 2mm, black 1.5mm foam, glued
Legs: Speckled Sexy legs olive
Underwing: Antron white
Wing: MFC wing material grey
Eye: sharpie/ UV glue dot
Collar: Stonefly dubbing black

Click the image to open in full size.
Canyon Hoppers ready for shipment.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

There is a simple answer to all of this. Read the swap guidelines . Decide if the standards are up to your expectations. If you like what you see go for it. If not just don't swap . It's that easy! It's your choice . Otherwise this can be debated forever!
Pocono, popperfly, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser