The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Time To Talk About Some New Fly Swaps;

Maybe we can "levels" in the swaps.

Level I - novice to intermediate tiers and simpler patterns
Level II - advanced tiers and patterns only

I think this would allow people to easily know what to expect from the swap. I also think that it would help the newer tier feel a bit more comfortable when it comes to becoming involved.

At the same time, it would help the tiers who want Eunan quality flies get those flies without having to worry about receiving a bunch of simpler patterns.
tbblom likes this.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

No one ties as nice as Eunan, no fair!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:19 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Something like a forum masters swap, where we pit Ard and Laurie and Gary and Eunan and Kelly and kbranch and wovenstonefly and others against each other (if I left you out there it's more because this was becoming a vicious run-on sentence...)? Sounds fun to watch

Sign me up for Level 1

As far as swaps go, I don't really care about the quality of flies I receive back. I tie flies for my own enjoyment and send them off with the hope that they will be successful for those individuals who receive them. All I ask is for the same thought processes in return, and I know that I have sent off some pretty haggard flies in the past. In fact, I'd love to see an element of the fly swaps related to on-the-water success, where people show (or tell) what fish they caught on flies that they received in a swap. I know that one of my best fish to date came on a wiggle-stone that Eunan tied, and I know that I was excited to pass on to a friend the fact that it was his caddis pattern that caught me the majority of my fish in Sweden.
ted4887 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Last edited by gatortransplant; 10-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

wow wow wow wow wow,

lets not forget the swaps arent competitions.
Thanks for the compliment, but whos to say the beginner who ties a simple hares ear doesnt put in as much effort as i do on any fly i tie? everyone puts in the effort representing their skill level....just cause i've been tying 20 years, though only one year quite well, doesnt mean its any easier for me than the next guy....
not only that, but the purpose of swaps is for beginners or intermediate tyers to learn from advanced tyers too.

This is slighly off topic, but maybe there should be a mentorship section for beginners who want to learn some skills. Or a separate forum in the tying section for techniques and skills, where you can ask a question and get an answer either pictorial or verbal from a more advanced tyer
I just posted a quick SBS on hen hackle throats on another thread. i was happy to do it, it didnt take long - but the beginners need to ask questions about what they want to learn....

i will say this. Since i started tying classic flies, where proportions are more apparent than perhaps other flies, my tying has improved. I'd recommended everyone give it a go, if only to challenge youself to improve you skill set.
gatortransplant and ted4887 like this.

Last edited by s fontinalis; 10-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
There is a simple answer to all of this. Read the swap guidelines . Decide if the standards are up to your expectations. If you like what you see go for it. If not just don't swap . It's that easy! It's your choice . Otherwise this can be debated forever!
Yes, exactly. I motion that we end the debate, please. TTB, you're argument has been heard and it well taken. But I feel like the only solution is the one Boz has put forth. Set your own expectations and just have fun.

I see a lot of agreement across the board and would summarize as such:

1. General swaps should remain open to all. 1a. Swap coordinators should be willing to run specific swaps with for more advanced tyers as requested.

2. Ship your flies in whatever you want as long as you included the proper amount of return postage and/or envelope to hold container.
--(Have we resolved whether or not a SASE must be included or if cash is sufficient?)

3. Standard Deadline should be set at 4 weeks and posted in the opening post of the swap invite thread. Specific swaps can be longer as agreed my all swappers i.e. traditional Salmon Fly

4. Deadline is Firm. Swapmeister will sort and return flies to swappers that sent flies, within a 2-3 days of the deadline.

5. Swappers are encouraged to photograph their fly and post with a recipe, not required though.

Anything else??

"Half of the people can be part right all of the time, some of the people can be all right part of the time, but all of the people can't be all right all of the time...I think Abraham Lincoln said that..." Bob Dylan
Hardyreels, jaybo41 and theboz like this.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Have we resolved whether or not a SASE must be included or if cash is sufficient?
international swappers only, including canada, should be able to either send cash or pay via paypal, of if the swap coordinator is willing to bite on the return shipping, then fine.

ALL USA swappers must pay shipping ahead of time. It speeds up the whole process.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
international swappers only, including canada, should be able to either send cash or pay via paypal, of if the swap coordinator is willing to bite on the return shipping, then fine.

ALL USA swappers must pay shipping ahead of time. It speeds up the whole process.
I agree. That is what I've done in the past. Take your box of flies to the PO and buy an extra envelope, address it, have it weighed with the flies and attach the postage. Fold it up and put it inside the other and ship it off. It is no extra time to ship and certainly saves a lot of work on the other end.

Another very easy option that can be accomplished from home, use the USPS Flat Rate envelopes, you can purchase the postage online and print the label from home, tape it to the envelope and stick it in your mailbox.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

One time I was slipping ten dollars into the box for Mark and the guy at FedEx told me it was illegal. Evidently by doing so I was laundering money. Turns out huge amounts of aunts, uncles, parents, and other family members are laundering money by celebrating long-distance birthdays every day!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
This is slighly off topic, but maybe there should be a mentorship section for beginners who want to learn some skills. Or a separate forum in the tying section for techniques and skills, where you can ask a question and get an answer either pictorial or verbal from a more advanced tyer
Allan, (Pocono) did this quite a few times with his 'Tie Along threads'. He may in fact be willing to run more of these threads, this will have to be found out. He did an incredible job of researching the flies that were tied and he provided the most detailed step by step tying that we have ever had. His threads were like an on line tying class.

Ard
popperfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I like the new ideas on the swaps.I'm not a fan of having levels or beginning and advanced swaps because some folks will shy away because they fill like their flies are not quaility.I have tied 29 yrs and i don't mind getting a beginers flies.Sometimes its good to get those because they still catch fish to and it gives the beginer a new more advanced pattern to look at.I know i like getting some of the ones that are more advanced than mine so i can try to improve my own tying. I think the completion dates being firm are a great idea.