The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Re: Time To Talk About Some New Fly Swaps;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Allan, (Pocono) did this quite a few times with his 'Tie Along threads'. He may in fact be willing to run more of these threads, this will have to be found out. He did an incredible job of researching the flies that were tied and he provided the most detailed step by step tying that we have ever had. His threads were like an on line tying class.

Ard
Ard, I agree. Pocono did a great job running the Tie-Along swaps; they were a lot of fun and for all level of tiers not just beginners. What really made this type of swap successful was no flies were mailed, only post a picture of your flies you tied per Pocono step-by-step instruction he would post.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Allan, (Pocono) did this quite a few times with his 'Tie Along threads'. He may in fact be willing to run more of these threads, this will have to be found out. He did an incredible job of researching the flies that were tied and he provided the most detailed step by step tying that we have ever had. His threads were like an on line tying class.

Ard
I had sent him a message about that and volunteered to host a beginners Tie Along thread for dry flies, since those are some of my favorite to tie and we havent done one yet. Maybe I will just see if we can get some steam going for one.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
I just hope everything turns out for The Better & we can Start Swapping again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ard,sorry to Hi-Jack your Thread.

Go to You-Tube where David Strawhorn a Young Scottish Guy shows how,it's a very easy Fly to Tie.
Brian
Thanks Liphookedau, That is one heck of a Hare's Ear patern.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 AM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough

Hey Ard,

How goes it?Its been a while.

I have read a lot of good ideas here.What we all must realize is that it is a huge undertaking for the benefit of other to run a swap.Making it as simple as possible for said person is most important.I see no reason one should not include a self addressed,STAMPED,envelope for return post.I always include the same envelope that I am shipping in to ensure your container fits.Any small,hard side container works.All containers MUST have a name and address label.I also think it is imperative to keep deadlines in tact.It may sound harsh,but given a day a week will be taken.Given a week ,you can count on two.I think the deadlines should be relative to the fly being swapped,but what ever the date,that's the date. I also like the idea of each fly being in a small ziplock.you can get them as small or large as you like.They are cheap,and it is much easier to handle for the swapmaster than a pile if furry hooks.Each one with the fly name and the members name on a small piece of paper.I print off a whole sheet sized any ready to cut.
As for the swaps themselves,keep them open to all.If somebody wants to give it a go at a married wing,who are we to keep them down.We have all been there on one level or another.It is a great way practice and get your feet wet.You can bet that the last one tied will be a marked improvement over the first.Its about having fun,and learning.I have been in more than a few and have never received a fly that I could not use for something.

Just my 2 bits
Hope all is well
Scott
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Been off the forum foa few months, and checked into the fly swaps to see what was going on now that the season is starting to wind down.

Wow!

First - sorry to hear Mark has gone missing - hope he is well, and as stated by others I felt he was a saint for handling swaps in the past.

Second - If someone got a fly that was used, I wonder if they contacted the tier and let them know - might have just been a mistake? I have been in a lot of swaps, and I don't think I have ever sent a used fly, but if I did I would hope whoever got it would let me know so I could apologize profusely - as it would have been a mistake and not intentional - and I could tie up a replacement or two or twleve and send it tothe person. I learned a long time ago that mistakes happen and you should at least give the person the opportunity to make it right before they are tarred and feathered.

As for levels in swaps - I think everyone should know going in if it is an all hands type of swap or an experts only type of swap - teh tough part is dealing with those that think they are an expert but aren't - I'm not, so, that's an easy one for me.

SASE and get em back in the same container sounds like a plan - for those overseas - whatever works.

The partner idea sounds interesting - might be cool to try it with a half dozen flies and two partners also.

Last:
I have participated in many swaps, gotten better and worse than I tied in almost every one of them. But I had fun in each one I was in, I got fishable flies for the most part, and I have enjoyed the commaraderie of other tiers. I always tried to tie whatever pattern I was tying to the best of my ability, and never once felt I was ripped off with what I got in return. I hope others felt the same about my flies. The most important thing to me in these swaps has always been to do my best, try to tie decent flies and have fun.

Dave
Hardyreels, Pocono, mudbug and 1 others like this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

@webrx,
yeah, we pretty much sorted that all out last week.
I've already tied my 15 for the new nymph swap... looking forward to what others will tie.