The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for Another Fly Swap.............!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Mine will be in the mail either tomorrow morning or wednesday, depending on how much time i have tonight to get them finished.
I'll ship them priority so they get there before the holidays.
I'm redoing all them with finer wire hooks and good hackles - just didnt feel right sending you substandard stuff.

Heres a pic of one
Click the image to open in full size.

Eunan
Certainly worth the wait! Nice pattern, Eunan, the wing curvature looks sharp and a great job tying.

Pocono
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Biggie: you should package and sell that dubbing blend, it's beautiful!
Thanks, Dean. PM me your addy and I'll send you some. I have a nearly bottomless pit of the stuff! That goes for the rest of y'all, too.

Thanks also to Ard, Larry, and Pocono for your kind words. I really need to practice so that the final result is consistently the same. They'll all fish, but some have more hackle, some more wing, some more tail, etc.

I'm just a southerner trying to learn coldwater fishing (and tying)--it's a hoot, so I'm gonna keep at it, but I'm pretty much self-taught by books, youtube, and this forum (both fishing and tying) and I'm learning a ton from my mistakes. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out that some technique is a mistake, but I get it eventually!
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Thanks also to Ard, Larry, and Pocono for your kind words. I really need to practice so that the final result is consistently the same. They'll all fish, but some have more hackle, some more wing, some more tail, etc.
That makes two of us Rob, I've been tying dry flies for 40 years and they still come out just like you describe yours. There is nothing at all wrong with that in my books, the only people I've seen who are absolutely consistent were professional tiers who made the patterns by the hundred. They have a system that yields consistency, what I find with flies like you are tying is that I catch fish with them so I have no intentions of changing my style.
Pocono, mcnerney and biggie_robs like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alright Fellas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey Rob,

I thought you said you were concerned that they were not so nice!! It looks to me like you have the fly tie thing down bud

Ard
Rob: Those flies look killer to me, can't wait until spring to get them out on the Green for a trail run! Very nice indeed!

Larry
biggie_robs likes this.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Alright Fellas...

I forgot to say,

Gotta Love That Dubbing Supply

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Certainly worth the wait! Nice pattern, Eunan, the wing curvature looks sharp and a great job tying.
I agree on that point, nice.
biggie_robs likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post

+1 for the labradoodle dubbing - and a happy looking pooch to boot!

Pocono
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that my flies went into the USPS bin today (priority). It shouldn't take too long to get to Merrimac. I included a bit of the Pearsalls thread on the toe tag in case anyone is interested in matching the color.

I can hardly wait to see everyone else's flies. They all look so nice!
Pocono and williamhj like this.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

The Grey Duster Variants will hit the mail tomorrow morning.

I don't remember who it was here that pointed to this guy's site, but I love these flies and I just follow his HIS Step by Step

Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 AM

Looks like a nice set of dries there, mudbug!

I'm a big fan of any of the striated hackles; badger, furnace or coch y bonddu; they all give a great look to the fly. Same goes for deer, elk or other types of animal hair.

Thanks, too, to for posting the link to that site; some nice ideas there.

Pocono
Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Inspired by Robs SBS I thought I'd post one rather than just submitting a materials list. This brown drake hackled comparadun is a fairly simple fly but thought some newer tiers might be interested. I tied this one on a size 10 2x hook, though the ones I submitted are on size 12's.

Hook Daiichi #1280 size 10 2x-long dry fly (any 2x dry fly)
Thread: 8/0 dark olive uni (or brown)
Tail: Moose mane
Abdomen: Brown dry fly dubbing
Ribbing: olive gossamer silk (can use floss or 6/0 or 3/0 uni)
Wing: dun comparadun hair
Thorax: brown dry fly dubbing
Hackle: grizzly olive clipped flush on the bottom (sometimes use brown)

Lay down a thread base and tie on sparse moose mane tail and olive silk

Clip a healthy clump of comparadun hair and tie in a length about equal to the hook shank facing forward, about 1/3 - 1/4 behind the eye. I put a bit of hard as nails on the clipped butt ends of the hair and wrap over it to help secure them. As the butts are secured, pack some wraps in front of the hair to help it start to stand up.

Return your thread to between the tail and the silk. Dub the body starting behind the silk and tapering up the abdomen to a bit behind the wing. Counter wrap the silk up the abdomen.

Tie in the hackle behind the wing and dub the thorax, using the dubbing help the wing stand up.

Wrap the hackle, 2 - 3 wraps behind the wing and 2-3 in front. Tie it off and clip the hackle clear of the hook eye.

Whip finish and clip the hackle flush on the bottom to help the fly float low in the water.

Front view of hackled comparadun wing

I drew from a number of patterns and videos, including AK Best's youtube video tying a Green Drake. I used this for brown drake in Michigan last May, though it translates easily for greys and greens, just adjust hook size as needed.

For greys, I used grey dubbing, brown silk, and grizzly hackle.
For greens, yellow deer hair for a very short tail, olive dubbing, yellow silk, and yellow/golden grizzly hackle.

Thanks!