The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for Another Fly Swap.............!!

The Swap address is out to each of the swap members in a series of PMs. Let me know if you did not receive it.

Also, don't forget to toe tag your flies and, as Eunan suggested, ship them in some form or rigid container; like an Altoids can or something similar. That way these dries won't get crushed in the USPS.

I think that pictures and step-by-steps of the flies that we tie up add a lot to a swap. I can either set up a separate thread for this in the Shared Patterns sub-forum; like John did for the Nymph Swap, or we can put them right in to this thread. My own bias is to keep everything right here in a single thread; it eliminates the need to toggle back and forth to see the member's flies. But, let me know how you'd prefer to do it and we'll go that way.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 11-19-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I will post a few pictures of the flies while I am tying them and when finished Allan, I'll stick them here with the others.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2012, 01:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at some different drake options and am wondering if there's a drake is the most widespread? If anyone wants to weigh in that's great! Figure I might as well send a fly people can use.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

What is usually included on the Toe Tag? I have 9 flies done.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech_joe View Post

lotech_joe - Royal Coachman

Just like that.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

finito...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I haven't picked one yet but I am still deciding. I can tell you, I am thinking PURPLE. ;-)
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys are kill'en me here, I better get busy I have a few tied up but will finish the other 9 after Turkey Day I've got a whole bunch of stuff to do here and will need to calm down after the big day by tying flies and having a bottle of Cabernet'

This is what they look like, Quill Gordon's float like a butterfly & sting like a bee

Pocono, mcnerney and williamhj like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Got mine tied up today. Ended up tying a version of a brown drake in size 12 with a deer hair wing. Clipped the hackle on the bottom so it'll float on the surface.

Just need to print the toe tags and they'll hopefully go out next week.
Hardyreels, Pocono and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech_joe View Post
Joe, toe tags can have as little of as much information as you want to include on them. Some people put their name and the name of the pattern on them; others include the recipe for the pattern as well.

What mudbug posted is fine.

Pocono

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
finito...

Bueno!

You are way ahead of the curve, there ghocevar!

Nice looking group of Yellow Sallies! And the box looks just right for shipping those dries.

Pocono

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Sorry I haven't picked one yet but I am still deciding. I can tell you, I am thinking PURPLE. ;-)
Purple is good; you've got my curiosity up on that one, Joni!

Pocono

---------- Post added at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You guys are kill'en me here, I better get busy I have a few tied up but will finish the other 9 after Turkey Day I've got a whole bunch of stuff to do here and will need to calm down after the big day by tying flies and having a bottle of Cabernet'

This is what they look like, Quill Gordon's float like a butterfly & sting like a bee

Ard, I really like the looks of the classic patterns; they're a great imitation of the natural and, as you say, they are effective on the water and great for soft presentations.

That's a nice looking Quill Gordon!

Pocono

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Got mine tied up today. Ended up tying a version of a brown drake in size 12 with a deer hair wing. Clipped the hackle on the bottom so it'll float on the surface.

Just need to print the toe tags and they'll hopefully go out next week.
I like those Brown Drakes, William.

Drake hatches; particularly the big ones, are favorites of almost everyone where I used to fish for trout in the Pocono Mountains. My personal favorite was the Green Drake hatch; bugs large enough to lure the even the biggest trout up to the surface for a tasty meal.

You and ghocevar are so far out in the lead at this point that you're spurring the rest of us on to get our patterns tied up, pronto! That's great.

If anyone is going to do a step-by-step on their pattern, then don't forget to take some pics at different stages along the way while you're tying up your patterns........ hint, hint......

Pocono