The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Swaps for the New Year

Eunan, Ard asked me to post the next swap as soon as the current one is over. I've asked Allan to let me know when he has recieved all the flies and then I'll post the next one. PM coming your way...
Pocono and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:24 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Winged Wets are in the emerger catagory, or they could be. A March Brown in the film looks like an emerger to me!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

If I get in this swap I'd like to do an emerger pattern that works great for me.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Hey guys, Pocono's dry fly swap will be wrapped up shortly. I will make a new thread with next the swap - #1 for 2013 - just after Christmas. It will be a caddis pupa swap, which allows for some variety and creativity yet stays focused and should help fill a hole in many a fly box, mine for sure! So look at some patterns and get ready.

Till then, I hope you all have great Christmas!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Sounds good I'm definitely in when the time comes. I've already got a pattern in mind.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:51 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I'd like to participate if you guys are willing to have a stay at home dad tie some flies...I feel like this is calling shotgun in a ride before you even leave the house to get into the car...looking forward to what the driver says!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
whats the situation with new swaps coming up since the dry fly is almost completed.
Are we gonna start another swap?

There was mention of a midge swap a while back which i offered to host, seems pertinent to the time of year.

BUT!!
Lets set the deadline shorter than 4 weeks from the start date, seems there is a lot of interest in swaps again. Either that, or start a couple concurrent swaps.

Finally, i'd like to throw in the idea of a caddis pupa swap. Caddis pupa only.
As soon as Allan has the flies all in........... 'dean_mt'' aka John, will post up another. As soon as that is filled and the tiers are sending in flies, 'Watson' will post and run another one. Once that one has started / filled up, You are welcome to post a Caddis pupa swap.

On running a bunch concurrently; this is where our swaps went off track. Too many swaps, no one watching to be sure people actually turned in the flies, etc.

Another thing that happened was we had members sign on to 2 or 3 swaps at once and then hold up the entire process because they had not tied any flies by the deadline.

The current swap 'dry flies' that Allan hosted will finish in time but if you try to shorten the deadline you may find people not having the flies in on time.

I really like the idea of knowing a fly swap is going as agreed to by everyone involved before I see 2 more start up. It's easy to say, "that sounds cool count me in" but it seems that even if there are 4 or 5 weeks to get the flies made and mailed it's still close at the end.

Let's let John (dean_mt) get his swap posted and filled then move from there please.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a monthly class/meeting and i help with the teaching of various patterns and flies, one of the things we do is a theme - i.e. next month we are going to tie something with sili-legs, or something with rabbit, or something with golden pheasant, etc. this is kind of fun as well, if you are looking for ideas. We also do fishing seasons, winter, spring, summer, fall, river and still water.

there are two of us that teach and we each pick a different fly for the session so we are actually teaching 2 flies each night.

So, no specifics, just a couple concepts we use, if your looking for swap ideas.

also, I would be happy to tie up a dozen for the cause, let me know when it kicks in.

Dave

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:31 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

I think its a great idea of them donations i wouldn't mind getting in on a swap so i will keep checking back so i can join in on one.
Thanks Joseph Russell
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I as well really like the donation idea. i'd be willing to send a couple dozen in for that one if it gets going. As far as other swaps, I dunno. I will just lurk around til I see something that looks fun. I enjoyed the hopper swap from before, maybe a big crunchy dry fly swap.

Storm Drain Bonefisher