The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:24 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Swaps for the New Year

Fly swap season underway! The Boz hosted a full nymph swap, that I believe is over and Pocono just initiated a basic dry fly swap that filled up in about as fast as the Pearl Jam concert sold out here last month!

I am in line to host the next swap, but we are going to continue to take it slowly. Once the Dry Fly swap closes (Dec. 31) it will be perfect time to kick it into gear.

I have a couple ideas for future swaps, but I wanted to start this thread as a place for tossing out ideas and/or requests for swaps, i.e. specific patterns, seasonal flies, specialty flies (under size 20, articulated, CDC emergers, etc), general patters, whatever. Then once we are underway, if an idea/suggestion/request strikes one of the host they can jump in and get it going.

Now this isn't meant to be a definitive list. Be aware that we are trying to avoid what happened with the swaps last year, when there were far too many running simultaneously and it just got out of hand. I guess I should say that by throwing a suggestion out, it is not a guarantee that the swap will occur, at least now right away. OK, disclaimer over, I think we all get it.

Let's hear some suggestions for swaps after the New Year.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The running list of Swap requests (NOTE: This is only a list of requests, not a set list or order of swaps to come):
1. emergers
2. meaty streamers
3. dry flies
4 warm water flies

Last edited by dean_mt; 12-06-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Swaps for the New Year

I think an emerger swap would be cool, but I am also partial to an obnoxiously large streamer swap.
ghocevar likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I think an emerger swap would be cool, but I am also partial to an obnoxiously large streamer swap.

I like the idea of a meaty streamer swap as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I like dries but any others will be fine
Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

I'm up for a warmwater swap
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Not a swap per se, but might be nice to do a donation. Like a swap, everyone ties up a dozen then they are donated to Casting for Recovery, Project Healing Waters, or similar organization? If we wanted to do a swap with it, we could tie up 2 dozen, split up one as a swap and donate the other. Lot's of tying but could be a good way to amass a lot of flies for donation.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Not a swap per se, but might be nice to do a donation. Like a swap, everyone ties up a dozen then they are donated to Casting for Recovery, Project Healing Waters, or similar organization? If we wanted to do a swap with it, we could tie up 2 dozen, split up one as a swap and donate the other. Lot's of tying but could be a good way to amass a lot of flies for donation.
Nice idea William. I bet we could something get together, just forgo the swap aspect and donate. Does anyone work with any of these groups? I have a friend that has taken people out for Casting for Recovery, I could pick his brain. But if anyone here has personal connection, that would be great.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Nice idea William. I bet we could something get together, just forgo the swap aspect and donate. Does anyone work with any of these groups? I have a friend that has taken people out for Casting for Recovery, I could pick his brain. But if anyone here has personal connection, that would be great.
I looked up the info when a family member was diagnosed, and found that Casting for Recovery accepts its flies at a central location and has a 'wish list' for flies. One option is to just tie up flies for fishing, another would be to assemble a dozen boxes, if 12 of us tie a dozen each.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 AM

I'm in man. I'll tie a dozen for the cause. Start a new thread, this is a great idea, thank you for bringing it to attention.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
John: I've been in contact with the gal that runs the Wyoming Casting for Recovery program. I had asked her about the possibility of helping with next year's program and she had mentioned the need for flies and that someone had donated six dozen flies to last year's program. I told her that I would do up some flies for her for the coming year. JP has told me that he would also be willing to tie up a dozen to donate, so there is some interest if you decide to go that route I can pass you her name and email address.
I also have been in contact with the Rocky Mountain coordinator for Project Healing Waters and can pass you his contact information as well if interested. He told me they can always use donated flies for their program as well.

Larry
williamhj likes this.