The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2013 Swap #1: Czech-style nymph

Would something like this be of interest to the swop?
Lead weighted, with a hot spot and lots of UV flash....

Click the image to open in full size.

If not, back to the drawing board..... let me know....
mcnerney, dean_mt, wt bash and 2 others like this.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

It seems that these things are all the same with just some variation in color.

I'm gonna try something different.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what I'm tying. I've decided to go with a #12 hook. It's what I have on hand and I want to get them done early. January might end up being a rather busy month for me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Many of the patterns will be similar, but no less effective Look forward to filling up my weighted nymph box!
mcnerney, dean_mt, wt bash and 1 others like this.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Agreed - I am sticking with Dean_MT's theme: "Two or three materials is all one needs to make effective nymphs. What we don't want here are PT's, Copper Johns, Princes, etc. Just simple, heavy fish-catching nymphs that we can hopefully use this winter/early spring." Stuff that I know will get down there and get some attention.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

they all look like Grubs to me.. but they do catch fish.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:20 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

La jolla; you're bug looks great, man. Your's too, William. Both great looking Czech nymphs.

Mudbug, this is the theme and if you don't like or won't use this style of fly you certianly don't have to participate. Then again, the reason I left the theme open was so folks could do some experimenting and variants on the Czech nymph theme.

Like William said, it's an opportunity to fill hole your fly box. And learn some new patterns. And have some fun. And hopefully help catch some fish when the rivers thaw out...someday!
littledavid123 likes this.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:31 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

They may all be similiar , grub like but they are by no means the same. I was just skiming the Czech nymph website and there are a ton of diffrent ones. Variety of material and weights. I was impressed the way one nymph the bomber is made heavier to work the lighter nymph at a diffrent depth. Also the comparisons to real nymphs and how much they look like the real thing! Then there's some that look very plain and artificial but the Europeans call some of these there best patterns . Quite interesting!
kayo likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM

Take a look at Jindra Lacko's page on danica.com (for a CZ perspective), or browse through Madjoni's postings here (for a view from Montenegro), or Lucian on the UK site (Transilvania) - these guys really know how to tie to catch fish. The hot spot looks like a gammarus shrimp to me, and I would never second guess Frank Sawyer's mastery of "killing" flies - he gave us the Killer Bug, the PTN and many others. That's why this is a fun swap, thanks Dean_MT for organizing!!
biggie_robs, kayo and sumojo like this.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Mudbug, this is the theme and if you don't like or won't use this style of fly you certianly don't have to participate. Then again, the reason I left the theme open was so folks could do some experimenting and variants on the Czech nymph theme.

No, I wasn't grumbling, I'm fine with the subject of this swap and looking forward to what everyone ties.

I was just commenting that when I went to look up patterns, they are all very similar so of course I'm gonna tie the one fly I found that was different from the rest.

I'll keep researching.
dean_mt and williamhj like this.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:42 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Some Nice Looking Flies.
I was going to join yesterday,I even had The Pattern Picked out as there were a few vacancies,however I had visitors & when I've just re-visited I found it Full to The Brim,this is The 2nd or 3rd I've missed,all I can say is Better Luck Next Time,hopefully.
Brian.