The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Swap #1: Czech-style nymph

I'm game for tying 13, if the others are up for it I say let's do it. I have 6 done already and 7 more should not be a problem. Personally, I like the thought of a fly tied in the US on a Japanese hook catching a fish in Australia

Even though it's a rather simple pattern I thought I'd try another SBS, partially for my own learning but also in case any new tiers might want to try one. It's posted here in anyone is interested.

Here's my materials list for the fly, the Krystal Czech nymph

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: Daiichi #12 wide gape scud hook
Thread: Uni 8/0 black
Underbody: lead tape
Back: 1/8" Sow-Scud back, clear
Abdomen: Krystal dub dark hare's ear
Adbomen rib: Uni-French Silver oval tinsel, small
Thorax: band of Angora goat burnt orange dubbing and band of Krystal dub black
Ribbing: 2x mono wrapped over whole fly for segmentation
Drop of Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails on top of thorax.

Here's the finished product.

Pocono, mcnerney, dean_mt and 1 others like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

13 is okay by me as well, though a terribly unlucky number. Perhaps I can gleen some dubbing from my black cat that just broke my mirror?

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

I will try and post a step by step after the swap but I never post pictures of my flies until you receive the. There has to be some mystery left in the universe.
Pocono and mcnerney like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

13 no problem especially since it's Brian! I do dislike that number very much in many ways so I'll make more than that for the swapmeister just so it's not that number! 13 and bananas bad karma!

---------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

One of the reasons the swap I ran had 15 ! Get past that number!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 AM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

13 is fine with me as well
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I fear no number, when you have luck like mine (all bad) numbers mean nothing unless its a bill.
Pocono and la_jolla1 like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

So I am thinking Hare's Ear Hotspot with the hotspot being pink and ribbing being gold. Size 14 should suffice. LMK if its too much of an overlap, otherwise I will crank out my 13.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
So I am thinking Hare's Ear Hotspot with the hotspot being pink and ribbing being gold. Size 14 should suffice. LMK if its too much of an overlap, otherwise I will crank out my 13.
Sounds good, overlap is fine. I have a feeling some of these flies will be lost.

Just waiting for Eunan and Reese check in and OK tying an extra bug, then I'll PM Brian and let him know.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Hey I'm good will do not a problem Hey that sounds like Si on Duck Dynasty
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Something like this...

Pocono and dean_mt like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Eunan would like back out of the swap due to some fly orders he just received with a tight timeline. So I sent a PM to Brian (liphookedau) and offered him the slot. If he accepts it, we'll still be full at 12 flies each.

That's all. Keep tying!
wt bash and theboz like this.