The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2013 Swap #3 : Clouser Style Flys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post

Joe, nice Clousers.

Those look like Jim Leisenring's original spun bodies on the card behind your Clousers; is that what they are?!

Pocono
Yes sir, well sort of... not the actual Leisenring spinnings, but I do pre-spin and store my wet fly and nymph bodies in the same fashion that Leisenring/Hidy/Hughes all practice and preach.

We got into a pretty good discussion on this topic in a Share Patterns thread for a Diving Caddis pattern that I posted last year. Check it out... the bodies and spinning block are shown on replay #12.

link: Diving Caddis...

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got to the post office today. Luckily my good friend John is the post master. He gives me this dirty look and says "Dude this is not a storage facility for your little fly parties!"Then he laughs and hands me a box of packages.
FrankB2,kayo,eman,wt bash and baseman1 your in!
WONDERFUL FLYS EVERYONE! REAL NICE ASSORTMENT!
FrankB2, wt bash and baseman1 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Some great looking streamers, guys! I knew I should have joined this one, I wouldn't have to tie a streamer for a couple years.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Nice Clousers, guys! NowI feel like I should have tied something more glitzy, but I tied what works for me. Some (all) of the Clousers shown here look too nice to toss in the water. You won't feel that way about mine.
No worries Frank, they're not Glitzy until they have a fish attached to them . If you catch fish on yours I'm happy to have one.
FrankB2 and theboz like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post

Never heard of super hair, but they sure look SWEET. Does the fly box come with it.
HAHA, no... the fly box stays

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

A baker's dozen Shad Clousers:

Click the image to open in full size.

Shad Clouser

Hook: Eagle Claw 202ELA, #8, gold
Thread: Veevus, 10/0, white
Eyes: Spirit River Dazl-eyes, 1/8", gold
Belly: Orvis Super Hair, white
Lateral line: Krystal Flash, pearl
Back: Orvis Super Hair, sea foam

These small Clousers are pretty sparsely dressed because Shad like thin patterns with a lot of gold showing; with the Super Hair bodies you can see right through them to the hook. The body materials are not tied back beyond the eyes and the bodies are somewhat shortened due to the fact that Atlantic Shad often short-strike.

I tie them in a bunch of different back colors; incuding chartreuse, dark blue and red. For me, the sea foam green always works the best, though.

I used this pattern with good success last season on Atlantics and even got a couple of Smallies to go for it when I accidentally drifted above the brackish water and into the fresh.

They'll go out in tomorrow's mail.

Pocono
Old 03-18-2013, 03:07 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default 2013 Swap #3 : Clouser Style Flys

Click the image to open in full size.

Got my Big-Nose Rattle Clousers finished today, so they should hit the post tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. These aren't the prettiest flies you'll ever cast, but the fish will know they're there, no matter how stained the water is!
FrankB2, Pocono, mcnerney and 3 others like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

My clousers are in the mail, you should see them by the end of the week!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Cool! More nice stuff from biggie and Pocono! On a roll! Looking forward to yours Larry!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Just to let everyone know, I left the flash a little long so you can trim to your own likings.
wt bash and biggie_robs like this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover