The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:15 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: 2013 Swap #3 : Clouser Style Flys

I wouldn't mind trying out one of these swaps. I'll make a Blue/Green on a number 6 hook. If you don't mind me trying it out.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Baseman1 and Eman your in . Glad to have you guys aboard !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Boz,sorry I didn't mean to Hijack Your SwapThread.
Hi eman.
It's good to see a First Poster Sign into a Swap,a really good way to join also From "The Land Down Under" A warm Welcome to The Forum.
I'll have to give this one a miss as I'm uncertain if I can meet The Deadline as I wouldn't like to keep anyone out.
Brian.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Brian you can hijack my thread anytime mate especially to deliver a welcome! If you change your mind always room for you as I told mudbug will just add more spaces!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Swap #3 : Clouser Style Flies

I've got to tie up some flies from the Spring American Shad run here on the Merrimack River. I was thinking more darts than anything else, but I know that Clouser-style flies, like the Clouser Deep and the Clouser Minnow will do the job.

I haven't tied Clouser-style flies since going after Bones a couple of years ago with Crazy Charlies and Gotchas.

Let me think about it a little more.

Pocono
Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I've got to tie up some flies from the Spring American Shad run here on the Merrimack River. I was thinking more darts than anything else, but I know that Clouser-style flies, like the Clouser Deep and the Clouser Minnow will do the job.

I haven't tied Clouser-style flies since going after Bones a couple of years ago with Crazy Charlies and Gotchas.

Let me think about it a little more.

Pocono
It's funny that you mention Shad Run and Gotchas in the same post. One of the top Shad Flys during the Delaware River Shad run is a Gotcha style fly tied with chartreuse calf tail , Flashabou, crystal flash and bead chain eyes. Took a bunch of fish on that pattern once they got above Dingmans Ferry!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Gotchas are probably the best bonefish pattern that I've ever used; good to know that they also work well for Shad, since I've got a bunch of them tied up already. I'm going to check in with my local Fly Shop this week to see if they recommend Clouser-style flies for Shad; I'm pretty sure that they will.

Pocono
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Three down.

Click the image to open in full size.

I've included some red flash on the underbelly to make them look injured.
wt bash and williamhj like this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Great stuff baseman! Now all we need is some more swappers. How about it guys anybody up to tying some Clousers? NEED SOME SWAPPERS !
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
It's funny that you mention Shad Run and Gotchas in the same post. One of the top Shad Flys during the Delaware River Shad run is a Gotcha style fly tied with chartreuse calf tail , Flashabou, crystal flash and bead chain eyes. Took a bunch of fish on that pattern once they got above Dingmans Ferry!

Funny that you mention that because my buddy's fly that I'm gonna tie is usually tied with Aberts squirrel tail in a plain white version and a white and chartreuse version. I always call it is crazy charlie mini clouser thingy. When I can't get Aberts Squirrel Tails I use Calves tail.

BTW, just so you know why it has to be Aberts Squirrel.

Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 likes this.