The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Swap #3 : Clouser Style Flys

Thanks kayo ! YOUR IN!

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Come on guys need 2 more swappers! Gonna be a good one!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

15 completed and ready to go.
theboz likes this.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
15 completed and ready to go.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and theboz like this.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If I don't do it while it's "fresh", it will never get done.
.... besides, what else was I going to do ? Work on the taxes ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Pocono, mcnerney and wt bash like this.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

LOL, I don't even know what a Clouser is.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
LOL, I don't even know what a Clouser is.
No worries, I'm not far behind, just remember YouTube is your friend!
theboz likes this.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM

One thing about Clousers that I've never seen written down is that when using lead (and only lead) eyes, you cannot tie them in as tightly as you might want to.
With alloy eyes they need to be as snug as possible in order to keep them from spinning on the hook shank. (I even resort to roughing up the finish on the shank with an emery board to better hold the thread)
But with the lead eyes, if you tie them in too tightly, they will break.

(I got this tip from tying one on one with Dan Blanton and not from some youtube video which some of the younger members here seem to believe is all you need )
mcnerney and kayo like this.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Rip,
Are you talking about the eye breaking while fighting a fish? I don't go after fish as large as the stripers you catch, and I've never had a lead eye break. I'm not cinching down each wrap as though I were trying to test the limits of my thread, however. Bob Clouser and Lefty put a heavy coating of epoxy around the lead eyes (I saw that on Youtube ). I don't bother with that, as
I lose so many to snags while fishing for smallmouth. I'm also too lazy....

To try to prevent spinning eyes, I lay down a base of thread on the hook, and hit it with some CA adhesive. If I happen to have thin CA on hand, I'll tie the eyes in with several wraps, and then hit it with CA. The Tiemco stinger hooks I use stay sharp for a LONG time, so I will sometimes get a loose eye on a Clouser that's seen use for a few days. That usually means I've caught a few good smallmouth with it, so I'm okay with that.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Rip,
Are you talking about the eye breaking while fighting a fish? I don't go after fish as large as the stripers you catch, and I've never had a lead eye break.
It could happen at at any time, but usually when the fly come in hard contact with something....... even when smacking the water.
It's happened to me so many times, at least it did before Blanton mentioned it to me.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you epoxy the eyes like Clouser? I really don't feel like mixing epoxy, and playing around with it while it dries. I've seen people use the UV stuff to build up the stick-on eyes, and I guess it would work with Clousers. That's too much effort for me as well.