The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: 2013 Swap #4: Wet Flies; soft hackles, flymps, winged wets.

Here's the recipe for the fly I tied.

Red Tag Variant

Thread: Red
Hook: Size 16 Partridge Flash Point 15BNX Kilinkhammer Extreme.
Tag; Red Uni-Yarn
Rib: Fine silver wire
Body: Peacock herl
Hackle: Secondary Jungle Cock Hackle(above the nails). Dark soft Grizzly could be used too.
Head: Purple Peacock Herl. The head is optional. Can be tied without.

Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers
Phil
mcnerney, Kerry Pitt and dean_mt like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: 2013 Swap #4: Wet Flies; soft hackles, flymps, winged wets.

Man, there are going to be a LOT of trout with sore lips after this swap!
mcnerney and dean_mt like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The Carrot Variant, or the "Thought it might work and it did" pattern.

Hook: Tiemco 200R #16

Thread: Orange and since there are many shades of orange pick one a little on the dark side.

Rib: Small or xsmall red copper wire, you know the reddish wire not really red per say.

Thorax: Peacock herl

Hackle: Hen pheasant neck, when I tie it on and wrap it I wind it on until the tip of the feather is on the top or dorsal surface of the fly and the right length to incorporate it into the hackle so I do not have to trim it and it gives it a good buggy look. Make sense? Ask if I have confused me....er you.

Body is all the same orange thread. When you get the initial abdomen done with the ribbing, give it a shot of head cement, it adds a little to the attractiveness of the fly. I tend to try and tie the wire rib in, on the underside of the hook and wrap from about 1/3 of the way back from the eye to just down on the bend..
For such a simple fly it is taking me and my 10 thumbs a long time to type this.
Normally I would wait to post this, until you all had them but my reliability decreases as the weather gets less frozen. Good tying, let me know how it works for you.
Pocono, mcnerney, dean_mt and 1 others like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Phil, this is a just a cool variant, is it something you just came up with or an oldie? It of course reminds me of a royal wulff/coachman without the butt.

Joe, I think a guy could get away with fishing an entire summer with this collection of flies. Of course he'd need more, but I mean this selection. In fact, I'm sure of it. If I were more disciplined I would try something like that. Maybe just for a day...yeah, put only this swap of flies in one small box and stick it in a shirt pocket. Leave everything else behind except some tippet. That would be pretty fun.

Kerry, I like the "big" nature of this smallish fly. Orange, red and green are such great colors because once wet they always become some nice shade of brownish. I'm sure that is why the original British spiders and traditional American soft hackles were orange and green, though there are very few is any bright orange and green bugs. I also like the long 200R style hook for wets, I use a different curved hooks for most emergers and nymphs.
stenacron and noreaster like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumojo View Post
Put me down for an Olive Bumble
Joe's Olive Bumbles arrived today, very nice work indeed!
sumojo likes this.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Phil, this is a just a cool variant, is it something you just came up with or an oldie? It of course reminds me of a royal wulff/coachman without the butt.
It is an oldie of sorts. Its roots come from the Brown Hackle or Red Tag. A very simple pattern. A red tag, or red quill, herl body and ginger rusty brown hackle tied back. It could be fished wet or dry.

My Dad's favorite fly was the brown hackle. He said he'd taken more trout with the brown hackle over the years. It was his work horse fly along with dark montreal, coachman, parmabelle, professor and those other oldie but goodie patterns popular from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Dad always had me keep him in brown hackles over the years, so I began to modify it a bit. I found that the contrasting hackle color of dark and white gives a more leg/wing effect. It worked good here in calm ponds, or dead waters in streams and rivers, that are ripe with mosquito, black fly, horse fly, midges, and many others that this patten kinda simulates. I find it a great fly to start with in any new waters. The rib too came later. It just seemed to produce more fish when dressed up a little.
And finally the herl head came last to give a little more definition. I hope it works as good for you as it has for me.

cheers
phil
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Maybe just for a day...yeah, put only this swap of flies in one small box and stick it in a shirt pocket. Leave everything else behind except some tippet. That would be pretty fun.
That sounds like a great idea! I'm doing it.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-02-2013, 10:46 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Joe's Olive Bumbles arrived today, very nice work indeed!
Thanks Larry new pattern I just learned for my Irish M8.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Theboz's Ostrich Spider and Dean_mt's PT&P Spiders arrived today, truly awesome looking patterns, congrats guys!

OK, I have everyones flies (minus Eunan who had to drop out), I will try to get everything organized and mailed back out on Monday. Thanks everyone for participating and doing such a bang up job of not only tying some really superb patterns but also for getting them in on time! Yahoo!

Larry
dean_mt, theboz, sumojo and 1 others like this.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Glad they finally arrived ! Thought maybe the Post Office believed Wyoming was in Asia or something!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser