The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up re: Should We Suspend Swaps For The Summer????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Sorry I brought this subject up, anyone that wants to start up another fly swap please feel free to do so.
Respect intended: Good Call.

Fred
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default re: Should We Suspend Swaps For The Summer????

i dont think its time to fall on the sword just yet......

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
i dont think its time to fall on the sword just yet......
Not quite sure what that's about, but we post up pictures of a tie (many well beyond my pay grade) and we send some to another poster. Minor 'swap' with another poster asking for 'two.' Sent him a bag full of 'Steelhead' flies.

PM back, 'I only asked for two.' Replied: 'Want to know how these work for Atlantic Salmon.' From size 6 hooks to Intruders. Will be interesting to see what works/doesn't.

Only thing I could add is AS flies work a treat for Steelhead; closer to the river mouth the better.

fae
Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Certainly, no need to apologize, Larry.

It's a very good topic; particularly given the situation that we faced just about this time last year with one person running, essentially, all of the swaps, and there is a lot to be said for the fact that as we head into the busy Summer period, time for anything, simply gets more difficult to come by.

I'd suggest that if someone want to start up a swap, than they do that and if there are swappers that are interested in it and if it fills, then let it run. We've had a great history this year of getting swaps filled and completed on time and we've had some really nice patterns tied up by the swap members.

Pocono

Jeez Lu-ezz, people! Yes, Alan it was fine and good for Larry and Ard to broach the subject as Ard pointed out the official swaps here went way too far awry last year. Larry and Ard took over, thankfully, and brought them back with well-defined and parameters. Maybe it seems a little too controlled, but it had to happen in order to get things working again.

-- I find nothing "snobbish" about a couple people trading flies privately.

-- Yes, I enjoy tying and giving away flies, I've enjoyed hosting a swap, but that said the point remains that once summer comes with fishing season, travel, home projects (god help me!), spur of the moment FUN...as summer should be, then it's really easy for a swap to fall apart. And Yes, the world will keep turning but it's not cool when flies don't get exchanged, are late, etc.

-- I find it curious that some people that do not participate in swaps have such strong opinions on the subject

-- Lastly, no matter what is decided, new official swaps should still be OK'd by Larry or Ard. The way they've always been here, i.e. moderated.

That is all. Relax and go fishing! Or tie some flies!
Pocono and williamhj like this.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I just thought up a swap we can keep secret. Secret fly patterns secret swap! No peeking.
jpbfly and fredaevans like this.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think Larry's last post sums up how we will proceed.

If you want to host a swap just let one of us know. What we don't want are numerous swaps running without the individual swap participants abiding by the deadlines for tying and forwarding the flies to the host.

Our only concern is that these things be conducted in an orderly fashion, that's all. We are not concerned with what other forums do or how they handle fly swaps.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll throw my 2 cents in on this for whatever its worth.

I have not participated in a swap on this forum either publicly or privately--yet. The couple that I was looking at either got filled before I could commit to it, or life's other commitments precluded me from joining. There will be other opportunities I'm sure.

I'm fully aware that there were some problems in the past and thus the unfortunate need to keep moderator involvement on them. I guess these private swaps could be a viable option, but wouldn't it also be possible for the host to collect the flies and vanish?

In my mind, it makes the most sense to me to have a prospective host PM a Mod with a request to host. The mods can approve or deny the request based on track record here or whatever other critera needs to be taken into account. Maybe even phone, email and mailing address should be provided? If approved, then the swap can be posted in the swap forum and we proceed with the swap. What I like about his approach is that first, the mods are aware of the situation. Secondly, it removes the "burden" from a select few individuals to host but keeps the swaps going. I have hosted on other forums and know the work involved. Some people enjoy that, but there is effort involved for sure.

Personally, I tie year round and sometimes during the dog days of summer, I'm at my bench wishing I could get out to trout fish or go for steelies and I'm preparing for upcoming seasons. Sometimes I'm working on smallmouth patterns or other things that strike my fancy.

Just some thoughts, ultimately I'm OK either way. Lord knows I have more than enough flies already
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 PM

"I'm fully aware that there were some problems in the past and thus the unfortunate need to keep moderator involvement on them. I guess these private swaps could be a viable option, but wouldn't it also be possible for the host to collect the flies and vanish?"

Only know of this twice; and 'he's' now an Internet topic of ... for a lack of a better term ... 'conversation.' I'll leave at that, save for his log in picture has the word "Banned" across his face. IP shut down, as that will do a lot of good. Just go to a public library and re-up under a different name?

Only thing that 'work,' is the words. 6'ish posts and you've got him nailed.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a while since I got involved in a swap. but I had not heard of any problems. What did I miss?

When I did get in one, there was always a moderator for the swap, everyone sent the flies there with money for postage, aaaaand done. No problems. Unless they went off the tracks somewhere I am not aware of, I didn't see a problem with those kind of swaps.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify my previous post: I don't have first hand knowledge of people collecting flies and vanishing on this forum, but I've seen that happen on others. My point in bringing it up here was that it could potentially be at the very least a concern and obviously a potential problem.

The problems I know of in past swaps here are limited to what Ard mentioned in his post. People mailing in flies and not getting anything in return, people dropping from swaps, etc. At the end of the day, if I mail in flies for a swap and don't receive anything in return I don't much care what the circumstances are that led me to that point. It would however turn me off from swaps in general for a while.

I don't mind tying flies for folks and handing them out and when I do that, I don't expect anything in return. I'd like to think that the person appreciates them and might find their self in a position to pay it forward to another angler one day.

It should be no secret, I like this forum. I've often said it's one the the very best I've ever participated in, on any topic. I'd hate to see folks go to other forums to have to participate in swaps as it could lead make them less likely to contribute here long term, or not. I support whatever decisions are made as to whether to continue or suspend the swaps, especially since I am not volunteering anything more than ideas and opinions to continue them. Just getting my thoughts out there.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.