The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Should We Suspend Swaps For The Summer????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
People mailing in flies and not getting anything in return, .
When did that happen, and who was the culprit?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'm not sure of the specifics Dan, but I have heard on multiple occasions what Ard shared in post 11. That's the extent that I know.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

In short, there was a good reason that we took tighter control over the fly swap activities.

Fly swaps can be fun for forum members and I have participated in some that went off well and some that sort of withered on the vine. The idea of not having forum sanctioned swaps during the busy summer season was simply an effort to avoid any further problems.

It's a bummer when 12 people sign onto a swap and then through attrition the number of people finishing is reduced. It is very easy to add your name to a swap group and then lose track of that swap as you are involved in other functions.

Also, unless an individual has prior experience at organizing the incoming flies and sending out the mixed dozens, hosting a swap is not a quick and easy task. For that reason we have tried to direct the 'Host' position to a limited number of members who were willing to take on the responsibility and have done so with great results.

The above paragraph demonstrates why we would like to be notified of who wants to organize and run a swap.
fredaevans, kayo and noreaster like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should We Suspend Swaps For The Summer????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Dan: You may or may not know that Mark had handled all the fly swap hosting for the past several years. Last year there were several swaps going on simultaneously, I was involved in two. I tied my flies, sent them in and never heard anything from Mark.......he just disappeared off the radar. Several others were in the same boat. I never complained, Mark had always been very reliable in the past, I just figured something really important had come up and he would get around to the swap duties once he had everything under control, but in the end it never happened. We have tried numerous methods of contacting Mark, including knocking on his front door to no avail. The other issue we were running into last year was that people that had signed up for the swap were not honoring the deadline, some folks were more than an a month late in getting there flies in. I was guilty as anyone so I'm not going around pointing fingers at anyone, it was just happening and so this year we have tried to encourage folks that sign up for a swap that they honor the deadline. So after that fiasco we decided to regroup the fly swaps and go at a slower pace with only one fly swap going at a time and with a preapproved swap meister, that way if we have a repeat, at least it would be on a more limited scale. This year we have held four very successful swaps, each swap went off without a hitch and everyone got there flies in on time. With summer approaching, that is why I asked whether or not we should continue with swaps as most folks would rather fish then tie while the fishing is available. I have no problem with continuing the swaps, I just don't want to see us lapsing back into the same issues we had last year.

Larry

Old 05-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was not aware he had not sent stuff out when he vanished. I just tried to do an obituary search for him, and unless his relatives (Found four of them in my search) didn't pay to have his obit. listed, he's still kicking and has not shuffled off this mortal coil, joined the choir invisible, become an ex Mark. Furthermore, I got a phone number and matched it to the Mineola address I had for the swaps I did he was leader on. I called that number and got an answering machine, that said "Hi, you have reached Mark...."

It seems his name is off the address, so he either moved and took the number with him, a relative like the wife did and never changed the answering machine message. Something. I tried to look through social security for a death notice, in case they just did not list an obituary, but they have a requirement that for a certain amount of time, which has not yet elapsed if he did die, we can't see if he kicked the bucket or not.

Being as he was always so reliable, I have the feeling that what ever occurred, it is not good. I have a friend who is better at searching this stuff than I am. I will ask her to take a look for me, so we at least have an idea what the heck happened.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same feeling that it must have been something pretty serious, as Mark was always mister reliable, just not like him to leave a number of fly swaps up in the air like that. Just for your info, we have had others calling his old number and it always hits that answering machine with the same message about, "Hi you have reached Mark".

Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

So, as to the original topic- If the mods/hosts don't want to mod/host swaps in the summer well, that's their call. I wouldn't prevail upon them when they are too busy.
I do think there are some members who won't be too busy to tie and might look forward to getting into a swap. Especially since, with the tighter restrictions on the number of swaps, it's so difficult to get into one.
noreaster likes this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 05-10-2013, 03:20 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I was just pondering the question and issues concerning internet swaps. Speaking personally, I believe when I engage in any civilian based internet "dealings" I do so with a degree of risk taken on my part.

Ard and Larry, here, represent the order and integrity, while would be scammers lurking around fishing forums on the net represent the dishonesty and dishonor.

When I send off flies I hold neither truly responsible if something happens to go wrong. Everyone should know that with internet dealings it's a buyer beware environment. We should take responsibility for our choice to engage in internet swaps that could fail for some reason.

Maybe there could be a waiver of understanding, one that cultivates integrity and makes the user accountable. Swaps could be held by those members who have demonstrated integrity, have participated in a number of swaps, and have been around long enough to establish themselves as a contributing member of the forum. Also it should be understood, and part of the post, when signing up for every swap, that you do so at your own risk. Aswell, a blurb of content on the recent "building integrity campaign". Propaganda really works, even good propaganda. Like those so many days without an accident signs at the workplace.
Just some ponderings not meant to be pushy

Last edited by noreaster; 05-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.