The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Swap (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/)
-   -   Should We Suspend Swaps For The Summer???? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/318361-should-we-suspend-swaps-summer.html)

mcnerney 05-03-2013 04:36 PM

Should We Suspend Swaps For The Summer????

Ard and I have been thinking that with the completion of the Wet Fly Swap that we would suspend any further fly swaps until the fall. Summer is fast approaching and most of us like to fish rather than tie given the choice. Looking for feedback from the membership, what are your thoughts?

Larry

sumojo 05-03-2013 05:22 PM

re: Should We Suspend Swaps For The Summer????

Does not matter to me Larry i have plenty of flies to be trying out and should keep my busy until then that's for sure. pulse i have to get my post to a hundred so next year i can get in line for a host LOL:D. Any way thanks for letting me in all these swaps it helps to get better plus all the Awesome flies in return. so thanks everyone.
Thanks Joseph;):):thumbsup:

bear 007 05-03-2013 06:06 PM

I was kinda wondering what happens during the busy season, it makes sense to close them down. I just want say thanks for letting the new guy join in.

stenacron 05-04-2013 12:23 AM

Good idea. It is time to start spending more time on the river as opposed to hunkering down over the vise.

dean_mt 05-04-2013 01:50 AM

Good idea Larry. We've had a nice round of swaps. Really nice. And it is fishing time for sure. I'd like to personally thank the crew of tiers that participated in the round of swaps that began on the new year.

That said, those of us in the West that have to deal with run-off season, it can be as hard as the end of winter. With the long warm days but no fishing due to huge muddy flows, tying flies ramps up again after the spring fishing season ends. I know that I'll have summer bugs to tie up and replenish my boxes. After the lawn is mowed, garden tended, house re-painted, etc. I'd rather be tying PMDs and attractors so if I wanted to post one more swap in June when I'm going nuts for fishing but have no options...well you get it.

I agree with the break as of now, with the last swap in. It's been good to get the swaps up and running smoothly. Thanks Ard and Larry for getting us back on track as well as the new swapsters - boz, watson, and pocono! Next one is mine, till then -- go fish!

theboz 05-04-2013 02:12 AM

GOOD MOVE!!!!! I'm so busy with fish now it's only a matter of what to fish for with all the multiple choices of spring! I too would like to thank everybody who participated in the new generation of swaps and comment how smooth everything went and all the awesome flys that were tied! Especially want to thank Ard and Larry and dean mt , Pocono and Watson for giving of their time to organize these fine swaps ! With that said , as I always say fish till you drop!

rccola712 05-04-2013 07:49 PM

I don't think its a bad idea to postpone, even though I haven't been a part of any of the swaps I've enjoyed watching them and tying along on occasion.

As far as being a part of the swaps, what skill level is needed? I'm not quite a beginning tier, but by no means professional. The last thing I would want to do in a swap is send sub-par flies, not that I wouldn't put my all into the flies by any stretch of the imagination. I just see some incredible flies coming from our forum members.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the wet fly swap goes!

dean_mt 05-04-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rccola712 (Post 552960)
I don't think its a bad idea to postpone, even though I haven't been a part of any of the swaps I've enjoyed watching them and tying along on occasion.

As far as being a part of the swaps, what skill level is needed? I'm not quite a beginning tier, but by no means professional. The last thing I would want to do in a swap is send sub-par flies, not that I wouldn't put my all into the flies by any stretch of the imagination. I just see some incredible flies coming from our forum members.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the wet fly swap goes!

rccola (as in the actual RC Cola? i like it), there is no skill level requirement to participate in a swap. If you feel like you can contribute a fly that catches fish the by all means you should join in! It's a great, fun way to practice and improve you skills. I've been tying flies for awhile but during this last swap, the wet fly, I actually learned a how to tie in my soft hackles in a way I haven't normally done it and I got way better at tying a fly that I have been making for years. Pretty cool. I tied and extra half dozen once the light went on just because it was so much easier and the final fly was better.

Whenever we decide to start up again I am going to post a swap that encourages tyers that haven't participated yet but have kinda, sorta always wanted to.

Anyway, thanks for following along. And you could always post pics of your work on the "what have you been tying" thread. It's a great place for getting advice.

fredaevans 05-04-2013 09:44 PM

Re: Suspension of Fly Swaps= 'Horse Feathers.'

As usual, I'll be the contrainarn here.

Someone wants to organize a fly swap; one other person joins, maybe 10. What do the rest of us really care, unless something goes really 'sideways?' And even then? And more to the point, has there ever been one anyone can remember that has?

Just memory, but I can't think of one that did.
fae

flytire 05-05-2013 05:38 AM

fly tyers tie flies all year round.

fly swaps may slow down but they don't go extinct like the dinosaurs

I've never really heard of forums suspending swaps for any reason

i personally wouldn't or dont see the need to suspend them but its really up to the owners if they want to. if nobody starts a swap nobody will participate

just a thought