The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: It's time for Swap #1 - Streamers

I'm always happy to hear the flies reach the other end Allan. I hope that the flies will hold up and catch a few fish for the other swap folks.
Pocono and baseman1 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Wooly Buggers shipped today. I know I said that weeks ago Allan, but a few of them just looked a little too much like Van Halen members so I tied some extras and culled a few, replaced with some a little sparser tailed. I gave it my best effort and learned a lot tying over 30 buggers. Hope they catch some fish.

Anyway, this crowd doesn't need Wooly tying instructions but here is the recipe I ended up with.

#8 Wooly Buggers Black and Olive
Hook- #8 Nymph-Streamer 2XL
4mm Bead- brass or tungsten
Body- Medium Black Chenille
Tail- Marabou- Black and Olive mixed
Gold wire
Black Hackle
Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ia_trouter. I'll be looking for them in the mail.

I understand where you're coming from on the "tie and cull" program. I tied 48 flies for my first swap on this forum about 5 years ago; a Tups Indispensable wet fly pattern. Fortunately, they're still catching fish for me; particularly when there's a Hendrickson hatch on...........good thing because I still have more than a dozen of them!..............

And you know, when you have extras you almost always fish the best looking ones first.........well, I'm down to the Tups Indispensables now that I wouldn't send into the swap and, you know, the fish don't seem to notice the difference in quality, because they're still hitting that pattern on the swing...........................but I sure do........

Pocono
Hardyreels and craigthor like this.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, most of the woolies I bought before I started tying looked pretty pathetic, and caught fish well enough. I finally had to stop obsessing over trying to tie 12 perfect buggers and just put them in the mail.

I have a couple year supply of buggers left over for sure.
Pocono likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Not gonna lie, IA_trouter, I am a fan of, and generally only tie, guide style flies. I haven't gotten into the artistic tying yet and not sure if I ever will. For me, I tie flies that are made to catch fish and not necessarily fisherman. If a fly takes me more than 10 minutes a piece to tie, it's too fancy for me. I dread losing those flies like a casting fisherman would dread losing a $10 crankbait. "Guide flies" are a whole different story and accomplish my ultimate goal which is to catch fish.

With that said, I do LOVE experimenting with new patterns and mixing techniques I learn from previous ties or fly tying videos. The fly that I did for this swap was a perfect example. Very easy tie and takes about 5 minutes a piece. But it's also very effective and versatile. When I took it out for its first real world test, I caught a couple of fish just swinging faster water and then a twitchy retrieve back. Then that bite completely died so I went from looking at the fly as a sculpin and started looking at it as a crayfish is slower water. That was the ticket to get the bite back on.
Hardyreels and Pocono like this.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are making me feel guilty now. I could have tried harder but I just whipped the flies off...................... Just to refresh I made one complete prototype and followed that with eleven bodies. The next time I sat at the bench I put the wings and collars on the bodies and then put them in the mail. If anyone gets a fly that seems not quite right let me know and I'll send you a couple more. The flies were I guess, my idea of guide flies, not much fussing around.

Hope they'll be OK

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I have a couple year supply of buggers left over for sure.
You know, there are days when you just can't have too many buggers.

And you know what they're killer on - chain pickerel. I know, not a fly fisher's dream fish, but they can be nice.

About 3 years ago I was fishing a big lake in the Poconos (Brady's Lake) and had let my line management go to pot while I finished off a conversation with a passer-by. After about 2 minutes of sitting the bottom, I started to retrieve the line. At first I thought I'd hooked bottom, but then the line started to move and a few second later I had a nice chain pickerel in the net. I was surprised. So, I did the same thing again, but only waited about 30 seconds after I figured the fly had hit bottom and, you know what, another chain pickerel. So, not wanting to walk away from a fish, I tried again and I'm sure that I had one on the line, but the teeth won out and I lost my bugger. That was a brown chenille/flash/brown tail bugger.

Pocono
theboz and ia_trouter like this.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You are making me feel guilty now.
Hope they'll be OK
Few differences here Ard. You got cred here, and know what will catch a fish. I don't and the experience was good for me. I need to try to tie them right as a noob, or why did I waste money buying all this gear? I can buy bad flies for 50 cents. I was pleased you guys allowed me to participate as I had been tying a couple days, then panic briefly set in when the first dozen were horrible. I am my own worst critic.

Few other random comments. First time I've heard the term guide flies used. I guess that is what I usually tie for now. I truly appreciate a perfect fly. Ted sold me some to use as models, Copper John and a few others. Incredibly perfect! They look really nice in the walnut trees and creek bottom where they now reside. I tormented myself trying to tie some like Ted. Fell miserably short and they still catch fish if you get them even close to right. Doesn't apply to finesse dry flies I'm sure, and I will be glad when I learn what style flies are worth tying perfectly. I'm currently not convinced it matters much at all when tying small beadhead nymphs or woolies.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
You know, there are days when you just can't have too many buggers.

And you know what they're killer on - chain pickerel. I know, not a fly fisher's dream fish, but they can be nice.

About 3 years ago I was fishing a big lake in the Poconos (Brady's Lake) and had let my line management go to pot while I finished off a conversation with a passer-by. After about 2 minutes of sitting the bottom, I started to retrieve the line. At first I thought I'd hooked bottom, but then the line started to move and a few second later I had a nice chain pickerel in the net. I was surprised. So, I did the same thing again, but only waited about 30 seconds after I figured the fly had hit bottom and, you know what, another chain pickerel. So, not wanting to walk away from a fish, I tried again and I'm sure that I had one on the line, but the teeth won out and I lost my bugger. That was a brown chenille/flash/brown tail bugger.

Pocono
Brady was good for that at one time! Unfortunately now you may get that Chain Pickeral on a still fished Bugger but chances are you may not know it because the Bugger will probably be bigger than the Pickeral! The building of the new dam really took it's toll ! Used to have days there catching a dozen LMs all 4 lbs or better now I'm lucky if the fish are as big as the fly!
Pocono likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-25-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Brady was good for that at one time! Unfortunately now you may get that Chain Pickeral on a still fished Bugger but chances are you may not know it because the Bugger will probably be bigger than the Pickeral! The building of the new dam really took it's toll ! Used to have days there catching a dozen LMs all 4 lbs or better now I'm lucky if the fish are as big as the fly!
I know that they drained it pretty flat when they were putting the finishing touches on the new dam, but I didn't know that it killed off all the good sized fish. Too, bad. Nice lake; ashore on in a boat. Probably will come back in another 5 years or so; once breeding picks up again. Maybe they should make it C&R for all species for a few years to help accelerate the recovery(?)

Pocono