The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:53 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's time for Swap #1 - Streamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I know that they drained it pretty flat when they were putting the finishing touches on the new dam, but I didn't know that it killed off all the good sized fish. Too, bad. Nice lake; ashore on in a boat. Probably will come back in another 5 years or so; once breeding picks up again. Maybe they should make it C&R for all species for a few years to help accelerate the recovery(?)

Pocono
The back half of Brady still holds some decent fish but they are few and far in between. The did the same to Stillwater and totally destroyed it! The even went as far at Stillwater to push the last puddles of fish out with kayaks ( even though I protested) to the stream that connects to Naomi. There logic being that the fish would make there way to Naomi and thrive. Little did they know most of those fish ended up being a feeding frenzy for Bald Eagles and Crows as they were too big to pass through all the brush and obstacles in the stream. The stream is still a good Smallmouth fishery but the lake is akin to the Dead Sea!
And now the latest idiotic move is they are building another Water Park at Pocono Manor( we have 6 already!) . This will undoubtedly ruin Swiftwater Creek as well as Indian Run just like therun off from Great Wolf Lodge did to it's stream . If it keeps up I may have to move to Maine to find a place to fish that is not spoiled!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
The back half of Brady still holds some decent fish but they are few and far in between. The did the same to Stillwater and totally destroyed it! The even went as far at Stillwater to push the last puddles of fish out with kayaks ( even though I protested) to the stream that connects to Naomi. There logic being that the fish would make there way to Naomi and thrive. Little did they know most of those fish ended up being a feeding frenzy for Bald Eagles and Crows as they were too big to pass through all the brush and obstacles in the stream. The stream is still a good Smallmouth fishery but the lake is akin to the Dead Sea!
And now the latest idiotic move is they are building another Water Park at Pocono Manor( we have 6 already!) . This will undoubtedly ruin Swiftwater Creek as well as Indian Run just like therun off from Great Wolf Lodge did to it's stream . If it keeps up I may have to move to Maine to find a place to fish that is not spoiled!
That's really a shame. Swiftwater Creek used to be my favorite native Brookie stream. I used to work for Sanofi Pasteur and my window looked out on that stream - always a nice thing to be looking at.

Pocono
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Swiftwater and Indian Run are great native streams . My son worked at Sanofi and would fish it on his lunch break. Hopefully the environmental people will monitor the construction better than they did with Great Wolf!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Geez, I hope he didn't know me.....................

I left in early 2011; started in 2003. When was he there?

Sorry for the thread hijhack!

Pocono

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

The peacock herl that I have; even the new stuff that I ordered for this swap from J Stockard, is just too small to do a good tie with the Picket Pin pattern (which needs long herl, unless you want to tie it in twice, which I don't like to do). If anyone has a good source of peacock plumes with 7" or better herl, then shoot me a PM on where you get them. I've tried all over and - no plumes.

So, I'm switching to a Kennebago Smelt pattern; should be ready by mid-next week.

Pocono
Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM

No he worked there the summer of 2011 and all of 2012 while going to Nothhampton. Now he goes to WVU and works at a marina. Smart kid always finds a job with fishing in the backyard!
Pocono likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan: I have my Slumpbusters completed, will get them toe tagged and in the mail tomorrow morning. We had house guests the past few days so that put a stop on tying.
Click the image to open in full size.
John Barr Slumpbuster:
Hook: Dai-Riki 730-C size 10
Thread: Dark Brown UTC 70
Cone Head: Brass, size small
Body: Diamond Braid Holographic Gold
Ribbing: Gold wire, size small
Wing/thorax: Zonked Pine Squirrel, tan

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 10-29-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:10 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I have 4 more wings to mount (tonight) my flies go out tomorrow, then i start on the Sweeney Todds for the seconds swap.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan: I got my slumpbusters in the mail this morning headed your way!

Larry

Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 PM

Larry, thanks for the update; I'll be looking for them in the mail.

Eunan, sounds good; that timing is fine for the swap.

I received another set of flies while I was away; the Woolly Buggers from ia-trouter. They looks great!

But we're a little thin on flies received to date. Here'a a run-down for everyone.

Ard / Hardyreels - Light Spruce - RECEIVED
2. baseman1 - featherwing
3. s. fontinalis - Black Ghost - to be mailed on the 30th
4. ia trouter - Woolly Bugger - RECEIVED
5. brookfieldangler - Sculpin
6. gatortransplant - streamer TBD
7. theboz - Black Beauty Dace - RECEIVED
8. Pocono - Kennebago Smelt - RECEIVED
9. mcnerney - Barr's Slumpbuster - mailed on the 29th
10. biggie robs - Hot Core Baitfish
11. chased - Pine Squirrel Leech
12. mudbug - Bendback streamer - to be mailed on the 30th

But, that leaves 50% of the patterns not yet accounted for.

So, baseman1, brookfieldangler, gatortransplant, biggie robs, chased and mudbug, give me a shout and let me know how you're coming on your patterns and when you think they'll make it to me. If any of you have already shipped and just haven't posted on it, then you can disregard this message.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 10-29-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Mine will hit the mail tomorrow morning also.
Pocono likes this.