The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Wet flies 2008

thanks Joni !! I was mostly just worried about using to little or too much hackle but basically they were my 1st ones I did after tying a yellow partridge fly just to get the hang of it. of course I did keep a couple that didn't come out so good. I think I kept 5 or so. I am gonna use um this year and see if they catch some fish around ohio. I am gonna try to make some with peacock bodies and some black hackle with a green ice dub thorax too.. can't wait to see all of your guys flies. I bet they are great!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am bad at the too much hackle myself, but heay, even Denny Rickards agreed the more is better at times. They look fantastic.
I did some olive ones once and did about 4 wraps of Partridge. Weird thing is, I was catch fish like crazy on them while others were using scuds, so maybe it was a multi-tasking fly. When I pulled it out, it did look like a scud!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

seems like the fish liked what you had to offer. they were tired of all them scuds and wanted something new. sounds to me like after you caught all those fish you prolly didn't have any hackle left on the flies lol. you know your on to something when the flys you tie can't be even be recognised when they are torn to shreads at the end of the day!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Hey folks sorry about the delay....flies will be out in the mail Thursday morning. Tying up the last of the Picket pins as we speak. Just came down for some coffee and to check my mail.

This Property management work keeps me running. We have had so much snow this winter we are shoveling off roofs each week, and putting in sump pumps to avoid flooding in the spring. Not to mention the endless calls...."this don't work anymore".... "can you stop my sink from dripping"? Muliply that by 11 properties and four more in the works. Glad my wife loves me and helps keep me afloat.

Oh as far as the "foam flies" .....already tied 'em. Can't wait to see what we get there too.

In the past I have alaways tied my wets a little fuller than the english. Maine trout seem to kill it faster. Besides the extra hackles let the fly last longer. So don't worry about being generous. Besides in the water they are 50% less visible, and they tend to stick together somewhat. More is definitely better.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Flies are tied...boxed and will be in the mail in morning!!! yee haw!! Sorry about any variations among them..hard to get tie time and to be consistant. Love the Picket Pins. (Tied a few for me, kept the goofs and fixed them.) My partridge and yellows will not need a strike indicator. ("neon'....gotta love 'em.)

Joni sending the recipe momentarily..........

North Woods Wanderings

Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Thumbs up Re: Wet flies 2008

All up to USPS from here......on their way.

North Woods Wanderings

Old 03-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

1. aroostookbasser - Partridge and Yellow ON THEIR WAY
2. Greenwood - tan biot & partridge w/ a fur thorax - size 14. GOT THEM
3. Joni: either a wet coachman or an Olive SH or both GOT THEM
4. shorthaul----with professor size 14 GOT THEM
5. REACTOR - size 12 Alder flies GOT THEM
6. Flityer: soft hackle hare's ear in a size 10 or 12. GOT THEM
7. Dark Knight - pheasant tail flymph soft hackle.
8. George McFly - greyish softhackle GOT THEM
9. aroostookbasser - ? ON THEIR WAY
10. Greenwood - stone-fly wet GOT THEM
11. Shorthaul - #10 Crayfish GOT THEM
12. Yukon Jack - "Steve's Caddis Soft Hackle" in a 12 or 14. GOT THEM

OKAY AROOSTOOKBASSER ARE ON THE WAY AND ALL THAT IS LEFT IS DARK KNIGHT. ARE YOU ABLE TO GET IN ON THIS, MY FRIEND? WE UNDERSTAND IF NOT. I WILL JUST TIE UP ANOTHER FOR YOU ALL.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

This swap is really going great. Everybody is on time and it seems you are all having a ball. Joni is the best SwapMeister ever. Makes me wish I was participating.

Thanks to all for doing a great job. I can't wait to see the pictures and recipes.

Frank
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks all. This is where it gets crazy however. McFly & Reactor can you give me the recipe for your flies and I apologize if you have already don this, but as I said this is where it gets a little crazy. I also need you TWO address please. FliTyer, I also need your address.
Other than that, all is good.

Now as I said before, I will return everyones flies to all, but I will keep ONE from each (so you that tied two, one pair) so you will be getting back 11. The one EACH tied I am going to put into a fancy fly box, post pictures of it, and we can have some kind of a contest to give it all away. There will be 12 flies in the fancy box. Does this make sense?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Sounds right to me; we get 11 different flies back for each 12 we tied. You're keeping the 12th fly for a fly box that will be offered up in some type of contest! That'll be a fly box worth winning! I'm definitely ready - my new rod and reel are just waiting to give these flies a workout! Thanks a bunch Joni for all the work you're putting into this swap!