The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM

itchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant futureitchmesir has a brilliant future
Default Re: Midges: First Fly Swap for 2014

Got mine today! Wonderful looking flies everyone. And thanks for hosting Larry.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Mine arrived a few days ago. Great looking flies guys! Thanks for hosting the swap Larry!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8outdoorz View Post
Mine arrived a few days ago. Great looking flies guys! Thanks for hosting the swap Larry!
You're welcome! I was fishing with your Misfit midge earlier in the week, bottom fly of a two fly setup and hooked into a monster Rainbow that came unglued jumping out of the water, on the third jump he broke my rig off and stole my midge. Dang, but on the bright side it was a fun display to watch even though it was a brief fight.

Larry
gr8outdoorz likes this.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the post office this morning and found a letter from the postal service with half an envelope inside, with a hand written note saying "non-deliverable". That was the letter containing Dave's midges. I talked with the gal at the counter and she thinks what happened is that when it went through their automatic sorting machine it got hung up and self destructed. When I sent those flies back, I was kind of wondering if that envelope was going to be tough enough, but that is what Dave had sent me for a self addressed envelope, I should have known better, even though I had placed the flies inside a small plastic baggy, it didn't hold up.
Dave, I probably have 400 midges so I don't really need my fly swap midges, your can have mine, the only issue is that I lost the MisFit midge this past Tuesday when I hooked into a monster Rainbow, he did a few jumps and broke me off stealing that midge in the process. Send me your address via a PM and I will send you my set of the fly swap midges. Sorry about that!
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry

Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Larry,

I understand you are trying to be nice, and I don't mean to sound mean, but if you mailed them back in the packaging HE provided, you are not at fault, he is.

I run local swaps and have to constantly teach people how to ship their flies. Something that seems so simple seams to just confuse some people.

If you put something hard in a regular envelope you should just plan on something bad happening.

Maybe some people need to watch this.

Notice how letters are run through machines that are made to handle a few pieces of paper in an envelope. Introduce something hard in that process and you may get away with it, but you are gambling.

mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:51 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

That's exactly what happened. Anything that can't be smashed flat by a sorting machine shouldn't be mailed in a standard first class envelope intended for a letter. If you put it in a thicker envelope such as a padded one, I believe it is handled differently. Probably need to put a warning in the future swap instructions as most people just aren't aware how letters are handled.
mcnerney and craigthor like this.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
You're welcome! I was fishing with your Misfit midge earlier in the week, bottom fly of a two fly setup and hooked into a monster Rainbow that came unglued jumping out of the water, on the third jump he broke my rig off and stole my midge. Dang, but on the bright side it was a fun display to watch even though it was a brief fight.

Larry
Larry, I hate that that rainbow broke you off & stole your only Misfit! As soon as our roads thaw back out I will send you some replacements. I have plenty of them. If you can PM me Dave's address I will send him some as well since his flies got destroyed.

Thanks,
Carlton
craigthor likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8outdoorz View Post
Larry, I hate that that rainbow broke you off & stole your only Misfit! As soon as our roads thaw back out I will send you some replacements. I have plenty of them. If you can PM me Dave's address I will send him some as well since his flies got destroyed.

Thanks,
Carlton
Carlton

Much appreciated! I haven't heard from Dave yet, he is probably working the Texas oil fields. I'll let you know when I hear back from Dave.

There are some really big trout in the Green river, the one I hooked into obviously loved that MisFit midge, but when they come up top and start jumping all over the place they are hard to hang onto, but it's still pretty exciting to experience.

Larry

Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Larry.
The Flies arrived today & are OK.
Thanks for Hosting The Swap.
Brian.
mcnerney likes this.