The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swap #2 for 2014: Deer Hair!

Mine are in the mail .
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I got flies from bear007 and hokiehunter I think...no names or tags on the big black nymphs...is that you?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 PM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I got flies from bear007 and whoever made the hellgrammite nymphs ...no tags and no screen screen name included.

Yeah the crittermites were me. Sorry. Got excited to send them and forgot the tags.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
Yeah the crittermites were me. Sorry. Got excited to send them and forgot the tags.

No sweat, I just had to look back to see who it was.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Nice stimulators, JoJer!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:36 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Glad to hear the bugs arrived OK and surprised by how fast they got there.
Here's the recipe/SBS: Stimulator

Hook: Dai-Riki #270 Size 8 3XL
Thread: Abdomen-3/0 yellow waxed Monocord
Head-Orange 6/0 UNI Thread
Tail/underbody: Stacked elk
Wing: Stacked elk
Dubbing: Abdomen-yellow antron
Head-orange craft wool 1/3 of a thread
Hackle: Abdomen-brown
Head-grizzly

1-Set the hook in the vise and wind touching base wraps of yellow thread from the eye to just above the center of the hook barb.
2-Pinch and stack some elk, tie in at the hook bend, tips to the rear, and wrap the elk hair down over 2/3 of the hook. Gather the excess hair ends above the hook and trim them off close to the hook.
3- Bring the thread back to the base of the tail, tie in the brown hackle by the tip.
4-Dub the yellow thread with yellow antron and build an abdomen tapering larger toward the eye. Palmer the brown hackle up to the end of the yellow dubbing in 4 to 6 turns, lock and remove the excess hackle. Lay a nice base from the eye to the end of the dubbed section.
5-Pinch and cut a slightly larger bit of elk hair, stack it and tie it in , tips to the rear, with the yellow thread for the wing. The wing must be tied in tightly. It should lean it against the end of the first stack of hair-this should give it the right angle over the abdomen. Wrap the hair toward to eye and trim to tapered head shape. The wing should extend even with or just short of the end of the tail. Tie the yellow thread down with the red, and cut the yellow thread.
6-Tie in a grizzly hackle by the butt with the red thread. Cut an easy to handle length of orange craft wool and peel off a strand the thickness of a well dubbed thread. Tie the wool in and build a triangular head of the orange wool, and Palmer the grizzly to the hook eye in 2 to 3 turns, lock and remove excess wool and hackle.
7-Whip finish the Stimulator.

I was very dismayed with how slowly my tying improved over the course of tying 15-20 of these bugs. These have some real nubie errors. Oh well. Here's one you can risk fishing close to that log jam.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Received flies from Boz, Mudbug, Baseman...and maybe someone else today, I don't remember, it was a lot of packages!

Check the OP to see if I have your work.

Thanks guys, still waiting on a few. Please let me know the status of your flies.

I'm going to photograph the flies, so give me a couple days.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I'm happy they got there. I've got another month and 3 days until season opens so no hurry.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM

Hi guys, I received the last package of flies from anyone that I have heard from. Tail of Pool let me know a couple weeks ago that his flies would be a couple days late due to a work conflict. I appreciate the heads up, no problems there.

BUT, I have not heard from chased or von behr since the swap started. I have PM'd them. If I don't hear back I would like to send back the swaps tomorrow, three flies short (itchmesir withdrew).

Since you all tied and sent 12 flies I'd like to return 12, but I can't make up the difference myself! I know a lot of do the swaps just for fun, but if you do want 12 back I will randomly add a couple flies to each of you out of the extras. So you'll get back a two flies of a couple patterns.

Or, I can package the extras separately and send them to Larry for CFR.

I know there are other ideas where to send the extras, but these are the two options at this point.

Please chime in a let me know.

Thanks.
John
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 AM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

Send my extra flies to project healing waters or equivalent.

dean_mt likes this.