The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Swap #2 for 2014: Deer Hair!

Fly tiers of all skill levels are invited to participate in this swap.

The only qualification is that the pattern you tie must prominently feature deer hair. Buck tail and elk hair are both OK, as one if from a deer and the other is a closely related cousin.

From compara duns to bucktail streamers, spun hair poppers (that would be cool!) to Goddard caddis and anything in between. Deer hair is a vitally important material in flies of all styles, wet and dry. I think we can create a really cool selection of diverse flies with this.

Open to 13 participants, that includes me, so everyone will tie 12 flies. I expect this to fill up by the weekend so we'll call February 10 the official start date and go for four weeks. All flies must be in my hands by March 10, 2014.

I will be tying either a Bucktail streamer OR a Turk's tarantula variant, haven't decided which direction to go. But I am urging everyone to consider your pattern when signing up, it may help others decide what to make.

1. tail of the pool: Muddy Muddler ... RECIEVED
2. itchmesir: WITHDRAWN
3. bear 007: Muddler....RECIEVED
4. calftail: Jacklin Salmonfly...RECIEVED
5. JoJer: Stimi....RECIEVED
6. Boz: perch bucktail...RECIEVED
7. von behr: bucktail original
8. chased: big pig monstrosity
9. baseman1: green butt black buck streamer...RECIEVED
10. hokiehunter: crittermite ... RECEIVED
11. Mudbug: Humpy…..RECIEVED
12. horsehead: Haystack...RECEIVED

Last edited by dean_mt; 03-13-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:25 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Swap #2 for 2014: Deer Hair!

Count me in. TBA
Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough

I'm in, I've got muddlers on the mind too, either an Mummichog Muddler or an Olive Marabou Muddler, I'll have to do some experimenting this weekend.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:59 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Stoked!!!!!

No worries so many variations of Muddlers we could all probably tie them and end up with different flies
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I'll join in.....

How 'bout a muddler with an attitude....j/k

Put me in for a "Jacklin Salmonfly"
Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 PM

jgentile has a spectacular aura aboutjgentile has a spectacular aura about

I'm in... some kind of dry caddis thingy... x-caddis perhaps or puterbaugh pattern.

Last edited by jgentile; 02-05-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: will step aside for someone who may have missed last swap
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

As a fan of you posted flies, I'm glad you could make it, calftail.

jgentile, we're glad to have you too.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Not the swap fly but takes a few to warm up the techniques, had to start getting use to deer Hair up my nose

Click the image to open in full size.
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

I'm in ! Perch Bucktail.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Sweet. I like it Boz John! Do trout eat those?