The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:55 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bluegill fly swap

I am tying cracklebacks. They are great flys you can fish them wet of dry but i like fishing them as wet. They are also trout killers where I fish in Missouri. Could I tie some of those as extras?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mean to cause any confusion. Please tie whatever you want. It was just a thought.
I can't wait to see those Cracklebacks.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:15 PM

There not exactly the ones you would see in the fly shop I tie them a little differently and with some flashier stuff for bluegill
Old 12-12-2008, 06:08 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Hi Fly Kid;
good deal on the cracklebacks; They're one of the mainstays in my flybox, for just the reasons you stated. I can't wait to see your variation.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:03 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the idea of the extra flies.

I'm fine with 3 extras of the same kind or 3 extras that we all think might be useful "nationwide" for trout fishing. I know that organizations like CFR generally target trout fishing for the people in their program; not sure about the other organizations.

Since most of the people that would benefit from these flies won't take to the stream until mid-Spring, it might make sense for us to make the extra flies as early season mayfly/caddis/stone patterns; maybe dries; since they're easier for most new fly fishers to see; particulary those that may not be fully ambulatory.

What do you think?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:30 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Let's just say everyone who wants to tie 3 extra flies, can tie whatever they are in the mood for. That way nobody has to worry about what type they are. All the flies will be welcome by the organizations nomatter what the fly is anyway. Sound good to everyone?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:33 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Just FYI on the extras: they use more common flies for teaching on the water. They also try to give each participant a gift box of 4 - 6 flies and they use fly boxes with flies for raffles to generate additional money.

So, all of your ideas are good!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:20 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Sounds great; so our three extra flies should be something kind of general and all purpose?!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

im def down for tying three extra flies! for the swap im going to tie the "gill getter", its my variation of a fly i saw in fly tyer magazine. bluegill is my favorite fish to catch on the fly (or crappie...i can never decide) so im pumped for this swap!

The North American Fly Fishing Forum

i dont know what collors to use though...im all out of tying materials but im getting some for christmas so i think ill be able to make a good colorway.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:58 PM

ok just about done just 2 more flies. Can I send them out this early?