The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Emerger Swap

I'll jump in on this one too. I'll tie a size 16 CDC Sulfur Emerger. It's a nice simple pattern that cleaned up for me one evening last year on the South Holston in TN.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dshort,

Excellent, thanks for joining this one too. I love fishing the sulfur hatch- it's usually a tough one for me. There is usually a lot of other stuff on the water too at that time, including both the sulfur duns and spinners, and the fish seem to always keyed in on some particular stage and size even if there's lot of stuff on the water.

Mark
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

OK, after playing around a bit, studying a picture of an emerging mayfly, and tying up 5 different emergers, I decided to tie a created pattern using zlon. Kind of a flashback with a zlon tail and wing using SLF dragonfly (black and brown) sparkle dubbing for the thorax. Not sure what to call it yet, but this is what I am going to tie for the swap. I will try to get a picture tonight after work and post it up. For now, lets call it a double flash emerger. I will tie it on a size 16 mustad 3906.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I love fishing the sulfur hatch- it's usually a tough one for me. There is usually a lot of other stuff on the water too at that time, including both the sulfur duns and spinners, and the fish seem to always keyed in on some particular stage and size even if there's lot of stuff on the water.
Sulfurs are really the main hatch on the South Holston and it lasts from April/May through Oct/Nov. When they come off, the fish are keyed into them. I was there last May and the sulfurs would start popping off about an hour before dark. We would spend most of the day nymphing and midging and then an hour before dark, the fun would start. The first 2 evenings they were on the duns and we had some great fishing with comparaduns and parachutes. The third evening it was like someone flipped a switch and every fish in the river started jumping out of the water. They were launching themselves out of the water at least a foot and splashing back down. I had seen individual fish do that before but never an entire river full of fish...it was the strangest thing I think I've seen on a trout stream. Anyway, I knew they had to be on emergers,with that rise form, so I tried a couple different patterns that I bought at the local fly shop with no success. Then, out of desperation, I tied on this little pattern that I had tied up before the trip, figuring that it was the last thing I had to try. I was becoming frustrated with all of those fish in such a frenzy and nothing working, so I didn't have much confidence in my little pattern...I think I landed about 10-12 browns on that little emerger in about 20 minutes before it finally got too dark to see. Needless to say, this particular pattern now has a permanent place in my boxes!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, great looking forward to seeing it.

dshort- i was fishing on the delaware and doing well with a Grey Fox hatch. The catching suddenly shut off, towards dusk though fish were continuing to rise. Saw some sulfur duns on the water size 14 (Vitreous), and green drake spinners flying above the treeline but hadn't hit the water, but still nothing as fish were rising-- finally i took a closer look at it turned out there were spent Dorothea spinners 18 that fish were keying on in the middle of everything else, that i had completely missed. It was a pretty humbling experience.

Mark
Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Sounds like you got it figured out though. I probably would have fumbled around with a size 14 dun pattern and gone fishless. Last year on the Holston it was just one bug and just a matter of figuring out which stage of the emergence they were keyed in on. It wasn't as technical as your situation sounds.

I'll be up your way in mid June for a few days so it looks like I'll have to be ready for that kind of thing. The hatch chart I have says I could get March Browns, Sulfurs, Green Drakes, Grey Fox, Light Cahill, Isonychia, BWO's and about 3 kinds of caddis all at the same time...I better start tying.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:44 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
OK, after playing around a bit, studying a picture of an emerging mayfly, and tying up 5 different emergers, I decided to tie a created pattern using zlon. Kind of a flashback with a zlon tail and wing using SLF dragonfly (black and brown) sparkle dubbing for the thorax. Not sure what to call it yet, but this is what I am going to tie for the swap. I will try to get a picture tonight after work and post it up. For now, lets call it a double flash emerger. I will tie it on a size 16 mustad 3906.
OK, here is a pic - on the left a pheasant tail nymph for the other swap, on the right, the double flash emerger.

Click the image to open in full size.

here is the pic I was studying to tie this impression.....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 PM

David,

Very nice ties. I bet they'd get eaten.

A couple of tips, on small PTNs, I use 4 tail fibers for the tail and body, tail extends 1/2 shank past bend, the fibers are wrapped together to thorax in a flat "ribbon" (instead of twisted together like a rope) with 4 turns or so to get a thin body. (similar in profile to the pic of the natural you posted). I just put 1 or 2 legs on a side. On really small ones I use dubbing on the thorax instead of herl, and just pick it out for "legs". Mayflies come in two basic flavors as far as profiles- thin bodies like BWO's and the one in your pic (with a prominant thorax), and thicker meatier nymphs imitated by patterns like the gold ribbed hare's ear.)

On emergers, typically the trailing shuck is measured to be as long as the hook gap. This includes stuff like Sparkle Duns too.

For the imitation of the natural, I like how you picked up on the rear dark body segments. If you wanted to, you could also tie in a 6" long piece of light yellow thread to use as ribbing to imitate the light bands on the leading edge of the segments. (Not neccessary IMHO, but if you wanted to make a clone.) I mostly do that on larger size nymphs and a few dries (size 10 or 12 and up).

It looks like you're cranking them out. You'll need to buy more fly boxes.

mark
Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 PM

Yeah it's my favorite time of year up there, lots of confusion, with all the stuff coming off. You actually may run into a few scattered yellow and brown drakes too (brown drakes tend more of a E Br of the Delaware thing).

Good luck.

mark
Old 03-06-2009, 11:22 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the info, I will trim down the trailing shuck on the emergers, already have 6 tied. only one PTN - the one shown, so will make mods re: take your suggestions when I get to tying those.

d