The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 08:04 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bass Bug swap

i will be tying both the mouse and the sunfish...

i tied the sunfish already, looks real good! just need some help though! i put some heavy lead wire on throughout the hook and it floated upside down when i just let it sit, and did a circle when i moved it! so if i use the wire just move it more towards the front so it stays upright? also the eyes... i cant get them to stick, so i put some head cement throughout the the front making it a little more of a surface, then tried gluing it, but they kept falling off! so should i just use metal eyes and tye it right in front of the orange rabbit hair and use no lead?

also for the mouse's tail, i haven't tied it yet but i'm thinking of just stripping the rabbit fur off the end and using that for the tail? that alright?

sorry for these questions, but if i'm tying for other people, i would like them to work well, don't wanna rip yall off with some rabbit fur thrown on a hook in exchange for some beautifully tied deer hair poppers!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 PM

Arkie24 has a spectacular aura aboutArkie24 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like this will be a swap of all envy! I will be tying a Crazy Dad crawfish pattern and a floatng minnow.

The months of anticipation is going to be rough!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:47 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
i will be tying both the mouse and the sunfish...

i tied the sunfish already, looks real good! just need some help though! i put some heavy lead wire on throughout the hook and it floated upside down when i just let it sit, and did a circle when i moved it! so if i use the wire just move it more towards the front so it stays upright? also the eyes... i cant get them to stick, so i put some head cement throughout the the front making it a little more of a surface, then tried gluing it, but they kept falling off! so should i just use metal eyes and tye it right in front of the orange rabbit hair and use no lead?

also for the mouse's tail, i haven't tied it yet but i'm thinking of just stripping the rabbit fur off the end and using that for the tail? that alright?

sorry for these questions, but if i'm tying for other people, i would like them to work well, don't wanna rip yall off with some rabbit fur thrown on a hook in exchange for some beautifully tied deer hair poppers!
NO problems with the ?'s thats how ya learn. For the sunfish just ty the fly upside down, meaning treat the back of the hook like it was the belly, that will not only make it swim right but help keep the fly from snagging on things.
What are ya useing for glue? Try Zap-A-Gap thick formula its like a super glue. If you try lead eyes ty them on the top of the hook so the point keeps rideing up for tying the pattern upside down.
As for the mouse tail, that should work just fine, tapper it from back to front so the tip is smaller then the butt area, that will make it look more realistic.
Hope this helps ya
Bear
Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie24 View Post
Sounds like this will be a swap of all envy! I will be tying a Crazy Dad crawfish pattern and a floatng minnow.

The months of anticipation is going to be rough!
Sounds like a plan man, if every one gets done early we can finnish it early, NO rush on anyone though.
Bera
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
NO problems with the ?'s thats how ya learn. For the sunfish just ty the fly upside down, meaning treat the back of the hook like it was the belly, that will not only make it swim right but help keep the fly from snagging on things.
What are ya useing for glue? Try Zap-A-Gap thick formula its like a super glue. If you try lead eyes ty them on the top of the hook so the point keeps rideing up for tying the pattern upside down.
As for the mouse tail, that should work just fine, tapper it from back to front so the tip is smaller then the butt area, that will make it look more realistic.
Hope this helps ya
Bear
i'm a lil confused on phrasing... so ty the fish like such?:
Click the image to open in full size.
and glue i was just using fly head cement which came with my cabelas fly tying kit
Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

the lead wire on the shank is goin to make the shank be on the bottom when its in the water (the shank is the heaviest part). tying it upside down would be hard with the zonker tail...maybe try it without the lead wire. once the zonkers get wet it should sink.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
i'm a lil confused on phrasing... so ty the fish like such?:
Click the image to open in full size.
and glue i was just using fly head cement which came with my cabelas fly tying kit
yeap, ty it just like that. Yeah head cement wont work for eyes use Zap-A-Gap.
Bear
Old 04-11-2009, 02:35 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Zap a Gap Works, or try "goop".
As for flies I'm looking at an Olive Craw(Foam shell), and a unique mouse/rat I call the Moose mouse. Smallies love it. Instead of deer hair I use the nearly black hair from moose.

So how many and when ?????? May1st????

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM

MAY 1ST LOL I had set the date for mid Augest, BUT since we will be only tying 8 flies if and only if every one in on this can get it done by then we will shoot for the first of May, that way we can all get to useing our new bass bugs while the bass fishing is hot. That will be 3 weeks to ty 8 flies.
There are 5 of us so if you ty 8 flies I will send you back 2 of each persons flies excluding your patterns so you'll be getting 8 back.
Is every one game????????????? If so I will close this swap off and we'll get going.
Bear
Old 04-12-2009, 01:28 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

dude, i can't make may 1st. i have finals that first week of may, and i have projects in all of my classes to do before finals. and i need to order all of the required materials for my zonker claw crayfish...i could do june 1st lol