The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Favorite Winter Fly Swap

I'd like to get in on this one, too. A dozen whatchamathingies.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great guys-- Mudbug, Pocono and Jojer you're all in.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Some great looking flies from Buzz (monkeyboy) arrived. That was quick!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Favorite Winter Fly Swap

bump to the top

webrx has it nailed
the more you tie the more your skill level improves.

after a dozen dozen you'll have it honed to a fine nib

all good
never thought i'd tie and swap flies
most excellent way to practice

all good

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post

after a dozen dozen you'll have it honed to a fine nib
Buzz,

You just said the same thing that a professional tyer told me a couple of years back. He had tied for Abercrombie & Fitch in NYC for about 30 years. He always said that you really don't know how to tie a pattern well until you've tied a dozen dozen.

I'll never get there!

Pocono
Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Favorite Winter Fly Swap

yah you will. i knew i was getting somewhere when i counted out a few dozen flies after tying one whole winter.

when i get on a roll i tie until i finally tell myself , save a few for tomorrow.
that's enjoyment

tying the woolly worm is a perfect fly to practice on, and an excellent fish catcher too. someone already said so

i gotta try and stay away from woolly worms, i'm am woolly worm addict

i know a fella who drives into town everyday including Sunday
to a coffee shop

ties a handful of Russian River no. 2's

he has a kit bag of vises, Regal's, Dyna-Kings, HMH's, and a lone Thompson "ULTRA" he rotates his vises but mostly ties Russian Rivers

the coffee shop owners love it, adds some atmosphere to the place and many of the kids who come with their parents are fascinated with his personality and tying skills.

he always offers a fly to the youngsters and the grownups alike.
he has a really good day when a kid comes over to his table

the waitress's decorated the stores Christmas tree with his Russian River flies.

he knows as well as i, he is getting excellent chops tying everyday.

he found a Dyna-King Kingfisher in a thrift store the other day, brand new , for $50.00, sent it to me , said "it is good karma"

good karma creates good karma

i hope this helps

all good

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I think I have had tiers block for the last few days..... I have my 12 flies tied up for the early season dry fly swap, and sat down to tie up my 'favorite" winter fly for this one. I started with a crispy critter, tied up a few, but then thought, you know I have caught a few nice fish on my turkey tail nymph, so I tied up a few of those. Then I started thinking that I have had some success with my holoflashback scud, so tied a couple of those, but none really said to me, this is your favorite fly. So, I put down the tying thread, and have just thought about it for a day or so. This morning I came to the realization, that my favorite "winter fly" was none of the above but is actually this other fly, simple, effective, can be fished in fast and slow water, has a little flash in it, and lots of movement. So, now that I know which whatchamacallit flies to tie, I can finally start working on this swap. Now, to complicate this even further, I sat down to start tying my favorites, and I don't have enough of the bead heads I need, so, now I gotta run to the fly shop. This could be dangerous ;0

I thought I would share, cause, I guess it was my idea to do this swap, and I was having a real hard time figuring out what to tie.

Dave
Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark: Sign me up for this winter fly swap if you still have room!

Larry

Larry
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

mine are tied, just need to bag and tag em this weekend.

Dave
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

I'm a new boy to the forum and not much of a fly tier but I'll have a go-as long as the organiser sends me a P.M. so I know where to send the fies and the sae to. BDT. You may even be more surprised by what I Don't tie!