The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wooly Bugger Swap?

Jimmie,

It won't look the same. When you twist the two hackles together before palmering them, the barbs will stick out in all directions; not just forward or back. That's what the twisting imparts to the hackle.

I use the same twisting technique to tie the Stewart Spider patterns; the only difference is that in that case, I'm twisting the thread with the hackle, but the result is the same.

As I said, I think it gives a really "buggy" look to the body and if you set the palmer into the joints between the chenile, then you'll get a slightly more orderly looking palmer; even with the twisted hackles.

I'd be interested to see what you get for a result.

Pocono
Old 07-28-2009, 07:40 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wooly Bugger Swap?

I'll have to try that!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 07-31-2009, 11:50 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Whoops. Have to be doing something wrong. When I twist the two hackles together then start the palmer wrap I lose tension in one of them at times. I went back to sie by side and that seems pretty pure???? Ironically when I do an Adams I have better luck doing each hackle separately. Getting a little confused. I'm sure it's because of no experience of having a successful routine. Right now the side by side is best for buggers and individual wraps best for Adams and Wulffs. I'll keep trying.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie,

You have to twist them more than a couple of times.

Tie in the two hackles; one on top of the other, then pull them both tight. Put the two stems one on top of the other and pinch then together with a good pair of hackle pliers, Then and spin the hackle pliers probably a dozen times (until the two hackles are twisted tightly together - as you twist, the hackle fibers will start to radiate out; due to the torque that you're applying to the hackle stems by twisting them). Then, keeping them in the hackle pliers, wrap the twisted hackles as one. You shouldn't have any problems.

FYI - I only use this twisted hackle technique on an Adam ****** or on a Stewart Spider. If I'm tying a regular Adams dry, then I wrap both hackles at the same time; but without twisting.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

dead on pocono!!!!!!

Works really well.....love that "fuzziness"

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Don't know how you do it Pocono, but that's exactly what I did. Just a few long lose twists. Thanks again Pocono. Can't wait to do it the right way. Probably tie a few tonight.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wooly ****** Swap?

just sending an update, been up to the lake for the last few days, and been working hard prior to that - man did I need a few days at the lake....

gonna try to get back up there tomorrow with the boat. Fishing was a little slow - had my boys with me so couldn't get out in the water much...but still a relaxing time and we caught a ton of blue gills.

In any case, got half of my buggers tied up, and should have the rest by Sunday. and will get them out next week.

Dave
Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Dave.

That sounds fine. Timing will be good, as I'm on vacation now: 8/10-23.

Headed for some striper fisihing on Monday; no wooly buggers, but some good sized clousers and deceivers should be on tap. I'm headed for the site where he world's record striper was caught a few years ago (55 lbs.); off the mouth of the Kennebec River as it empties out towards Sequin Island. I'm definitely ready!

Also, I've been unable to post to the forum for the past week; due to some technical glitches with the site migration to the new server - but, at least for the time being - I'm back.

Post and let me know how you're all coming with your Buggers. Only 4 weeks left.

By the way, you may have noticed that our new British server doesn't like the word "Bugger", so instead they've made this the "Wooly ****** Swap". Colloquially cute, but not particularly useful for this swap. Perhaps they'll relax their language screens a little to accomodate the native language of we "colonials". We'll see.

Pocono
Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 AM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

Just realized that renewed forum automatically censors out the word "bugger"
Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversink View Post
Just realized that renewed forum automatically censors out the word "bugger"
That's right Hideto-san. The Brits are, in general, a little more stringent about the use of the word bugger; since it's used somewhat more frequently there in the vernacular slang. But, as you can see, we've "re-morphed" back to the "Wooly Bugger Swap", so someone across the pond is listening. That's a good sign!

How are you coming with your Buggers?

Pocono