The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 06:39 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wooly Bugger Swap?

I was fooling around with JBBFLY a couple of days ago and told him that if he could hit me with a Wooly Bugger from where he was standing (France), then he was all the caster that he'd ever need to be. I'm not too worried about getting hit at that distance, but it started me thinging about Buggers.

For some of us, the Wooly Bugger was the first fly that we ever tied. And for many of us, it's still a fly that gets a lot of water time and hooks up a lot of fish; particularly when there's not much happening on the top of the water.

I've talked to a a lot of fishermen and most of them have a favorite Bugger pattern, so I started thinking that it might be fun to host a Wooly Bugger swap, depending on how the rest of you feel about it. If it's of interest, I was thinking that it would make some sense to have a deadline of Labor Day, when a lot of we trout fishermen, who have turned to smallmoutns during the hot Summer months, head back to trout. Say maybe #6's as the largest and #12's as the smallest(?)

Let me know what you think. I think it would be a lot of fun to see a dozen patterns that represented everyone's favorite Bugger; particularly when it's time to go back to trout and when there aren't many insect species still hatching.

Pocono
Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wooly Bugger Swap?

It is funny that I rarely fish them anymore. But maybe with 11 new ones I would.....I am so in!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Great minds must think alike. I was out today for a few hours & the water was high & off color & I put on a black WB & picked up 3 fish....That got me thinking about all the different color combos possible. .....Count me in...

Neil
Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I just realized, the biggest fish I have caught was on a "Hot Chocolate" by Bill Schiess.
Guess what....it's a woolly bugger! Just little is all.

I watched a program awhile back where they said that a black/while woolly represented a drown worm......hummmmm. I tried it after that and it worked! I wonder why I moved away from them.

I think I will do the Midnight Fire if we get this one going.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

you guys are killing me with these swaps! i cant resist a wooly bugger swap. im in! ill tie up 11 of these guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugger.jpg (89.5 KB, 163 views)
Old 06-12-2009, 04:53 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

OK - that's a good start. So far we have:

Joni
FISHN50
Rmooney
Pocono

This one should be fun; a real chance to be creative with your favorite tye of this well know and heavily fished pattern.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Im in too.........

size 6-12...any variation....... post by Labor day!!!!

Oh yea....I'm in!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pocono: I don't fish wooly buggers much either (but maybe I will with some new ones to try) and I wasn't planning on doing a swap this summer but with a Labor Day completion, I can certainly handle that. Count me in!

Larry
Old 06-12-2009, 05:28 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Hell why not,,,,,, I'm in lol
I'll play around with a couple diffrent ideas and let ya know what I'll ty
Bear
Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 PM

All right! With Aroostookbasser, Mcnerney and Bear, we're up to 7; five more tyers and we've got a full swap.

Here's the updated roster of tyers:

Joni
FISHN50
Rmooney
Pocono
Aroostookbasser
Mcnerney
Arfishinbear

This is probably the world's most fished fly; and it works on several species - not just trout. Here's a real opportunity to get creative, have some fun and tie up your favorite Bugger!

Pocono