The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Fly Tying Articles

Fly Tying Articles Articles on fly tying skills, techniques and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default A buggy looking fly with craft store materials

So, I tied this fly using "haute fur,"almond pheasant" feathers, and marabou feathers...

Click the image to open in full size.

I tried to imitate the carp back stabber as best I could. Let me know what you think.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A buggy looking fly with craft store materials

Your picture quality is not the best for critiquing, but it looks like it would catch some fish! You can likely tie a lot of flies with those materials, and very inexpensively! Good work!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:28 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

It doesn't matter what I do... It seems that I can never get a good picture.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I believe it's possible your camera is not well suited for such close up's. The picture of your materials looks fine.

I had that trouble with a camera years ago, as it did not take good close up pictures of things as small as flies. I have a camera now that takes better close up's, and it's taken me some time to learn how to use it.

I've found that I take better pics of flies when they're laying on a flat surface & I take the picture from above, and with the macro setting & flash on. I also use an editor to change the sizing if needed.

Here's one I took awhile back of some size 6 flies I tied. The back ground is a sheet of green foam, which works well I think.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Your camera have a macro setting? Set it on that for closer pictures. Go fish the fly, that will tell you if it works.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 PM

namfos is on a distinguished road

If you have a flatbed scanner or an all-in-one printer with scanner, you can use it to take very nice pictures of your flies.

Mark
Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM

jcroyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
It doesn't matter what I do... It seems that I can never get a good picture.
The main problem is a forward facing flash. I don't know what type of camera you have but if you can not redirect the flash , turn it off and place your subject in natural light.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't use the flash, but use natural light or good indoor lighting on multiple sides of the fly. I stack books to put the camera on, use the macro setting and get it very close to the fly. I hold a piece of paper behind the fly and make sure it is focused on the fly and not the paper (might put my hand right behind the fly and push the button half-way down to focus. Works well.