The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Articles > Fly Tying Articles

Fly Tying Articles Articles on fly tying skills, techniques and experiences.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By wolfi2de
  • 2 Post By comeonavs
  • 2 Post By hokiehunter07
  • 1 Post By wolfi2de

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 03:56 AM

wolfi2de is on a distinguished road
Default How to tie Parachutes

Here's an easy step by step instruction for tying parachute flies. To make it easier, there are eleven pictures to help you.

How to tie Parachutes

Have fun, Wolfgang
mridenour likes this.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to tie Parachutes

Wolfgang: Thanks for sharing that step-by-step, interesting approach using that little piece of cardboard.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Very interesting, don't know I will use that method right away but none the less very interesting and creative.

I have been leaving the fly in the vertical position and whipping on the post, it seems to work well. I also just got some half hitch tubes to try that on hackles flies. I can't imagine a significant disadvantage of a whip finish over a good half hitch finish.
mcnerney and hairwing530 like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-12-2014, 09:39 AM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

I never tie off parachutes. Put a little super glue on the thread and then make your last couple wraps. Never had a problem. Works really well with uv adhesive. You can clean off the hackle before hitting the glue with the light.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
kglissmeyer1 and hairwing530 like this.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 PM

wolfi2de is on a distinguished road

I for myself prefer whip finishing. Even if you are able to do it with one hand! I did a small movie about this topic, but it is in German language.
On the other hand I produce this whip finishers, so I have to prefer it! It was the first tool I sold to dealers in BC 15 years ago!

turbineblade likes this.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

It's easier just to grab the post and pull it back to expose the head and do a 1-hand whip finish. To me anyway .

I also prefer a whip finish to any number of half hitches -- usually the last half hitch you tie instantly comes unwrapped when you cut the thread, so IMO the whip finish is the correct way to finish.