The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > Forum news and announcements

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default What's Your Profile Like?

Content is what makes us different here on The North American Fly Fishing Forum. So I'm going to say a few words about that.............

I sometimes click a members profile to see if they mention where they are from or anything else about themselves in the 'About Me' page. Unfortunately many are blank, many don't even mention what state the member is from. No one has to write anything on the profile page but a little info makes you seem like more than just a user name on a forum

I just noticed that my personal page here that is home to the blog and 'about me' stuff has passed 11,000 visits from different members

Another thing worth mentioning is the 'Blog' feature we have available here for every member. Many times I've had to remove blog links from posts where members start a thread just to say, "Read more here url@myblog etc etc". Every time I see these and edit them I wonder why not post to a blog here? Our rules don't allow posting just to direct people to your own web site because we want content here. No, our blog feature isn't fancy like one you can put on-line yourself, but if you want readers this is a good way to get them.

So that's what I had to say; having a profile page is not a bad thing, and writing a blog here into our forum is a good way to create your own personal forum within the forum.

Ard
imxer, Jackster, fysh and 5 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Your Profile Like?

My profile? My nose is a tad big, but my mustache kind of hides it. Why do you ask?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

How did I know people wouldn't take this seriously............. Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, jpbfly and silvertip8k like this.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

My personal 'ditch ' (apparently the word 'bit ch' is a no-no) is people who don't use a real name as long in's. Second is where they're located.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yeah, knowing where someone is from is nice.

ARFE
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
How did I know people wouldn't take this seriously.............
Morning Ard,
I see your point and believe me, I'd like to add that info., more than you'll ever know.

There are many reasons why people don’t wish to incorporate unnecessary identifiers into their daily activities here.
Stalking, being one.
Their employers and the use of company time & resources would be another.
A distrust of how this information might be used in an ever changing internet business environment, by the public at large and data miners in general, would certainly make the list.
And the beat goes on……

Best to leave the door open to all and welcome what they can add, rather than admonish them for what they can’t..
The alternative is, a website that suddenly falls very quiet, due to the lack of postings by members who wish to keep privacy issues, private.

For now and for later I will remain, TT
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
My personal 'ditch ' (apparently the word 'bit ch' is a no-no) is people who don't use a real name as long in's. Second is where they're located.
Jeez Fred, that is the majority of folks on here!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer that they at least put where they are located in their information so that it appears in the header of their posts. If you were to search "where are you located?" in the forum, I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of results. There is a practical side to at least that portion of it. Advice for the Blue River where I come from has little to zero relevance to the Rainy River where I am at now.

I am not worried about the name so much. Some people would prefer to keep their real name private and I am OK with that.

H. Lambert MacFarlain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
How did I know people wouldn't take this seriously............. Click the image to open in full size.
Sorry Ard. The wise cracker side of me took over. I suffer from a bad case of Heckle and Jeckle syndrome.
Click the image to open in full size.
oarfish likes this.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

I think I'm covered. Sometimes when you mention too much about yourself others may take it the wrong way.

There should be a "how did you get your login name" thread, like the one about how you got your avatar. Here's a hint.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Hi Guys,

The thread wasn't meant as an admonishment to any members. I was just suggesting that a little background helps when we are either reading a post or answering a question from other members. The use of the blog feature was a large part of what I was posting about. Very few of our members are using the feature.

I understand why many of us chose not to use our real names as log in / user names here. When I registered I took a screen name because I was worried about privacy. I did include my age and location. As the years unfolded I edited my info and added a little more.
dean_mt likes this.