The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > Forum news and announcements

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 12:42 AM
Trade Member

Piscifunreels will become famous soon enoughPiscifunreels will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Piscifun joins the supporting advertisers on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevind62 View Post
I palm my reel for drag so I set the drag just tight enough to prevent major backlash. After a few hours of casting and several fish the drag did work loose a bit. I always tighten my drag once I land the fish to keep my line from feeding out while I unhook the fish so I pretty much reset it after each fish. I find it hard to blind set a drag since you don't know how big or small the fish you hook is going to be. Setting a light drag and palming gives me more flexibility.

Overall , I agree with herchammer. The reel has nice tight tolerances and performed really well on a 4 day fishing trip with morning temps below freezing.

I also have this reel in a 7/8. I haven't tried it out on trout yet but a test run on bream at home it did well. Can't wait to put it to a real test.
Hi, Kevin. Thank you for sharing. Sword and Blaze fly reels are classic models Piscifun produces. We really appreciate it that customers offer us feedbacks, reports, and reviews. It matters to improving on products. Part of reel design comes from some customers' feedback.
hairwing530, kevind62, spm and 1 others like this.

Let's get reels wet on the water
Follow us on Facebook
Old 11-21-2016, 02:26 AM

kevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to behold

My pleasure. I just recently purchased a 5/6 Blaze in blue to replace a smaller arbor reel that came with the rod as a combo. I like color for the fly reels. I like the additional character it adds. I searched for a particular color but could not find it. So I sent your service department an email with a suggestion. Hoping you'll offer either or both of these in pink or pink highlight. During the month of October, when I'm fishing or hunting I try to wear something or use something depicting this in my photos to support the cure. Although, I was a bit caught off guard this past Oct on a recent fishing trip. I didn't have anything with me due to my origin of departure for the trip. Figured I'd be able to pick up something in the town we were staying in and could not find anything. I have pink highlighted salt water rigs and crappie rigs. Along with pink accented hunting gear for this purpose. Just getting in to fly fishing and having a hard time finding this in the exact gear I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollive View Post
Hi, Kevin. Thank you for sharing. Sword and Blaze fly reels are classic models Piscifun produces. We really appreciate it that customers offer us feedbacks, reports, and reviews. It matters to improving on products. Part of reel design comes from some customers' feedback.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:23 AM

mrshark is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Piscifun joins the supporting advertisers on the forums.

I bought a gunmetal color sword fly reel wt 5/6. It performed well. Light, smooth, nice finish. A sweet reel for the money. I'd like to thank herchammer and kevind62 for sharing their experience with it.
hairwing530 and herchammer like this.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM

kevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to beholdkevind62 is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.
nevadanstig likes this.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:04 PM

pnc is on a distinguished road

Was looking at reels 2 days ago..... plan on getting a couple of the 9/10 Blaze, think that was the name. Spool capacity is on low side. But gel-spun cures that. Seems perfect for back up. Use Fin Nor FR10 on St Croix 10w for tarpon (jaw dropper means picking up 12w).
Got a 3/4 reel last week, for $25. Different mfg...... but advertised similarity. Machined, ball bearings, disc drag. No wobble... soundly made. Sold me on the Piscifun I'll be ordering soon. Even though they will be more than twice the price (hehehe).

........ pc
Old 04-30-2017, 11:48 PM

nevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant futurenevadanstig has a brilliant future

If you guys havent seen it yet, I got my hands on one of their fly rods and reviewed it here:
Review: Piscifun Legend Fly Rod
Much the same impression as with their reels. Its a nice bit of kit for the money.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
If you guys havent seen it yet, I got my hands on one of their fly rods and reviewed it here:
Review: Piscifun Legend Fly Rod - The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Much the same impression as with their reels. Its a nice bit of kit for the money.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting ! Was unaware of rods....... will be looking in to it.

........ pc
Old 05-03-2017, 05:45 PM

stoneflylama72 is on a distinguished road

Just got back into fly fishing this spring after a 10 year layoff. I needed the best setup I could afford on a very low budget to go after tailwater trout. Ended up with a custom built (very slightly used) St. Croix Legend Elite 9' 5wt for $105 off eBay ( watched eBay every day for about a month and finally got real lucky) A SA Sharkwave GPX WF5F line for less than $50 shipped off STP, and after much debate ended up buying the Piscifun Blaze 5/6 reel in the coffee brown color. Less than $50 on Amazon.Overall a very good performing setup for what I use it for. Been fishing about 10 times so far and nothing but 6x tippet with everything from #20 midge pupa to #16-14 Caddis dry flies. No big fish yet but several around 14-16". The blaze reel has been solid so far. Only complaint is the drag adjustment knob turns too easily for me. I've had the drag loosen on me once or twice, but now just check drag every so often to make sure it's where I want. Drag is very smooth so far and it's been tested a few times even though no huge fish. The finish on the reel is better than I expected and it looks a lot more expensive than it is. The coffee color is pretty sweet too.
nevadanstig likes this.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 PM

9/10 Blaze's came today. Nice reel ! Am thankfull color is subdued compared to pictures seen. Reel is as solid as any I've seen (friend owns fly shop). I would think it be more dependable than hybrid reels. The ones with cast spools, costing 3 or 4 times the amount (maybe more). Many of the reels I see now days. Reels costing 10 times the amount. I would never consider. They simply don't look like they would hold up.
As ported as Blaze is. It still looks, and more importantly feels solidly built. Reel came left hand ready. Switching to right easily done. Only thing that would have made it better is a tapered hamdle. I prefer them on reels this size and larger when they are direct drive.

Kudos to the people that made this reel !

......... pc
nevadanstig likes this.